Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rcheskin
Helper I
Helper I

Slicer to toggle color blind friendly theme

Some of our users are color blind, so I want to implement a slicer that changes the color theme of a line chart.  I have been able to do this in the past when the number of categories is a known quantity with a measure that sets the Hex color code for each category, and switches based on a slicer selection.

Colors_Speaker = SWITCH(
    TRUE(),
'Color Scheme'[Selected Color Style]=1,
SWITCH(TRUE(),
Speaker_Master[Speaker Rec Code]=1,"#66DF60",
Speaker_Master[Speaker Rec Code]=2,"#D64550",
Speaker_Master[Speaker Rec Code]=3,"#B3B3B3"
),
'Color Scheme'[Selected Color Style]=2,
SWITCH(TRUE(),
Speaker_Master[Speaker Rec Code]=1,"#1AFF1A",
Speaker_Master[Speaker Rec Code]=2,"#4B0092",
Speaker_Master[Speaker Rec Code]=3,"#B3B3B3"
))

But now I have a visual where the number of categories is dynamic, so ideally a user could switch to a color blind friendly theme using a slicer.  If switching themes with a slicer is not possible, I'm open to other ideas for a work around.

6 REPLIES 6
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @rcheskin ,

maybe you might consider storing the color code inside the table, then you can create a measure like so:

vizAid Fill Color = 
var __theme = SELECTEDVALUE( 'theme'[theme] , "theme1" )
var __speakercode = SELECTEDVALUE( 'speakercode'[speakercodeid] )
return
IF( __theme = "theme1"
    , CALCULATE( MAX( 'speakercode'[theme1] ) ,  'speakercode'[speakercodeid] = __speakercode )
    , CALCULATE( MAX( 'speakercode'[theme2] ) ,  'speakercode'[speakercodeid] = __speakercode )
)

This is how my data model looks like:

TomMartens_0-1623476618879.png

The content of the table speakcercode

TomMartens_1-1623476750655.png

I assigned the measure to the fill color of a bar chart (not a reasonable data visualization - I know)

TomMartens_2-1623476869345.png

Hopefully, this provides what you are looking for.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

@TomMartens Unfortunately there is no way to predict which speaker ID(s) will be selected by the user, and I probably should have mentioned in the beginning that this is a line chart, which I'm now finding out doesn't have conditional formatting in Power BI out of the box.  Previous posts point to a workaround described in this blog:

https://exceleratorbi.com.au/line-chart-conditional-formatting/

In retrospect, I don't really need something this fancy.  Realistically a user is not going to pick more than 5 values for the line chart because more than that will be too cluttered, so if I can manually specifiy the colors for the first 8 values (just like you pick 8 colors for a theme) it will work.

Hi @rcheskin ,

Does your problem have been solved? If it is solved, please mark a reply which is helpful to you.

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information or the expected result you expect. Let me know immediately, looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Winniz

I believe I did, and I don't have a solution yet.  I want to have the first 8 data colors of a line chart specified dynamically, without using a theme.

Hi @rcheskin ,

Try to create measures shown below for the top 8 data.

Rank = 
RANKX(
    ALLSELECTED('Table'[ID]),
    CALCULATE( SUM('Table'[Value]) )
)
Color = 
SWITCH(
    [Rank],
    1, "#1AFF1A",
    2, "#4B0092",
    3, "#B3B3B3",
    4, "#66DF60",
    "#D64550"
)

image.pngimage.png

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information or the expected result you expect. Let me know immediately, looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Winniz

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-kkf-msft , 

This method does not work with line charts because there is no option to specify conditional formatting of colors.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.