Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

DebbieE
Community Champion
Community Champion

Slicer to omit records

I have lots of customers in my data and I want a quick way to omit customers from the report to see how this affects everything. But all the slicers seem to be about selecting a record from a list

Is there anything in Power BI where for example, I can add the Customer ID and it gets removed from the report. I dont want to do it in filters because you need to use advanced filtering and keep adding or.  There might end up being hundreds of Customers that get filtered out and this would be to complex for the user

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
vivran22
Community Champion
Community Champion

@DebbieE 

you can only enable search for a text type column. 
Click at the ... (3 dots) at the upper right corner of the slicer and you will find the option to enable search

You may refer to the article

Hope this should help.

Rgds,

Vivek

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
vivran22
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi,

Is there a way to share the sample data and the desired output? The requirement is not very clear from the description above.

Rgds,
Vivek
DebbieE
Community Champion
Community Champion

SlivertoOmitRecords.JPG

These slicers, if you select a Postcode that means only that Postcode is shown. I want to select a Postcode (Or many Postcodes and remove them from the visual. 

tex628
Community Champion
Community Champion

Toggle the select all on the slicer and have every option selected from the beginning. This will make it so that the slicer will remove anything you select.

Your other option is to build a negative filter, that litterally works the opposite way by removing everything that you select, but thats quite the messy process if i remember correctly.

image.pngimage.png

Connect on LinkedIn
DebbieE
Community Champion
Community Champion

I cant see an option to have everything selected from the start in the slicer. I dont really want the use to have to turn on select everything before they start. Am I missing an option to select everything in the slicer rather than having to switch it on

It seems like this could be an idea for a new slicer visual? For my logic, the business is looking at Outliers. If they have looked into an outlier and are happy that they have come to a conclusion they simply want to omit as they go

tex628
Community Champion
Community Champion

I totally agree with you that regarding the requirement for a new slicer. The select all option is located under the selection controls options for the slicer. Once you have enabled it you select all on that specific slicer, save the report and then that should mean that any user that opens the report will have all options selected from the beginning. 

The only issue that i can think of is that i dont know how it handles new records. For example when you get new customers, will they also be selected by default? 

Connect on LinkedIn
vivran22
Community Champion
Community Champion

@tex628 @DebbieE 

If you will save the report with "Select All" option and if any new option/item will be added to the list, then it will be selected by default. And in case if you have unchecked certain items from the slicer and then save the report, they will remain unchecked untill the selection has been reversed.

Hope this helps.

Rgds,

Vivek

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

DebbieE
Community Champion
Community Champion

I do have a problem with the solution.

I have thousands and thousands of attributes to go through. The user should be able to simply type in the ones they want to omit. Not scroll through because there are too many to scroll through. So this solution doesnt work in this situation. Its only good for a smaller number of records

vivran22
Community Champion
Community Champion

@DebbieE 

you can only enable search for a text type column. 
Click at the ... (3 dots) at the upper right corner of the slicer and you will find the option to enable search

You may refer to the article

Hope this should help.

Rgds,

Vivek

DebbieE
Community Champion
Community Champion

Done,

My only concern now is that the Slicer is in a slicer bookmark.

in the pbix file in Desktop Ive set it to all with everything selected. Added a search at the top and saved. Im concerned that the user will go in. remove the Properties they want removing and go back to the filter and it will reset with the settings from my pbix file.

tex628
Community Champion
Community Champion

You will need to inform your users that they will have to use the "Reset to default" button as it will bring the report back to the state it was in when you published it.

image.png

Connect on LinkedIn
DebbieE
Community Champion
Community Champion

I understand that you would need to do that to reset everything but thats not what Im wanting to do here

I click on the button to open my slicer bookmark (I have a slicer bookmark so i can hide my slicers when I dont need them)

SlicerToOmitRecords1.JPG

and then I search and select a number and click back to the report vis my button hiding the slicer.

I then decide I want to go in and add another number to omit so click on the slicer button again. When I do this the slicers go back to how they were and I lose the first number that i omitted.

This is what happens whenever you click to go back to the slicer bookmark. All the slicers reset to the default. How they were when i published. 

But I dont want this to happen. I want to keep the pro number omitted

tex628
Community Champion
Community Champion

That's something you can change in the bookmark settings. There you can toggle whether or not you want the data selection to be kept when you press a bookmark. 
image.png
Toggle it off

Connect on LinkedIn
DebbieE
Community Champion
Community Champion

I would need to really think about this because I have 4 bookmarks

the slicer bookmark is the only one with data set to on. the other bookmarks are set to off.

Is it ok to have every bookmark set to off for Data?

tex628
Community Champion
Community Champion

i can't really determine that for you. Toggling data off just means that the bookmark no longer bookmarks the filters. So if the purpose of the bookmark is to apply specific filters you need it ON. 
If it's only to hide/unhide you should have it OFF. 

What's correct for you in this situation is hard for me to tell! 😕

Connect on LinkedIn
DebbieE
Community Champion
Community Champion

Ill have to do some testing on this then to see what happens. I assumed that at least one bookmark had to have data set to on

tex628
Community Champion
Community Champion

Try around as and see how things behave! If you wonder about anything just ask (y)

Connect on LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.