Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MichaelSX
Frequent Visitor

Slicer to filter values from two different tables

I have a table with a project number and an expenditure column. I have another table with project number and time spent. I want to make a graph/chart that displays the cumulative total of the expenditure for the project as well as the total time spent. I want to filter this report with a single slicer.

My issue is that I can only filter one of these values at a time, based on which table I take Project from. How do I make a slicer that filters values from two different tables based on a shared property?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @MichaelSX,

You need to create a third table (projects) with unique values them make a relationship between this table and the other two then use this as your slicer to filter your charts.

Be aware that you need to use this column to use as axisor values on your visuals.

Check this link that explains what is needed to do.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
camsalome

I am having trouble connecting my slicer to my pivot tables via Report Connections which are greyed out? 

When i select them nothing happens? They all are from the data model? What am i doing wrong?

camsalome_0-1673399322918.png

Hi @camsalome 

Can you please share a mockup data or sample of your PBIX file. You can use a onedrive, google drive, we transfer or similar link to upload your files.

If the information is sensitive please share it trough private message.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a similar issue in terms of using one slicer (with a unique column) for 4 tables. kindly assist.

Hi @Anonymous ,

You can connect the dimension table to all the tables you need and they will filter out accordingly.

Can you share a litle more insight on your model/needs?

Regards

Miguel Félix

MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @MichaelSX,

You need to create a third table (projects) with unique values them make a relationship between this table and the other two then use this as your slicer to filter your charts.

Be aware that you need to use this column to use as axisor values on your visuals.

Check this link that explains what is needed to do.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Is this necessary even if the other table is derived from an aggregation (summarize) from the first?

Hi @moefasa ,

This is necessary if you have a the project number multiple times in each table if on one of the tables you have unique ID's you can create the relationship betwen the two tabls directly and then use the column with unique ID's for your slicer.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.