Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Matty
Helper II
Helper II

Slicer to change reference column based on choice in another slicer...

Hi All,

I have a situation where I would like to have a slicer to reference 1 of 2 columns depending on what has chosen via another slicer.

Here's a simple example to try to explain...

DimTable as follows:

FruitHierarchy 1Hierarchy 2
AppleXX
PearYW
OrangeZW

FactTable as follows:

ChoiceFruitSales
AApple10
APear5
AOrange15
BApple20
BPear15
BOrange5

These tables are linked via a relationship on 'Fruit'.

Slicer 1 is based on the 'Choice' column in the Fact table.  Slicer 2 is based on the 'Fruit' column in the Dim table.  What I would like to be able to do is if slicer 1 is set to A, then 'Hierarchy 1' on the Dim table should be referenced by the slicer.  But if slicer 1 is set to B, then 'Hierarchy 2' on the Dim table should be referenced by the slicer.

Hope this makes sense and someone can offer a way of doing this.

Cheers,

Matty

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @Matty

I made a video about something very similar to this on my Youtube channel. Check out this video and let me know if it helps your situation.

https://youtu.be/k_Z1Uu5y9l8

Hope this helps,

Parker

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @Matty

I made a video about something very similar to this on my Youtube channel. Check out this video and let me know if it helps your situation.

https://youtu.be/k_Z1Uu5y9l8

Hope this helps,

Parker

Hi Parker,

Thanks for the link - great trick and video!

I will give it a try with my report tomorrow and I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks again.

Matty

@Anonymousvery cool! One suggestion is to use SELECTEDVALUE function vs FIRSTNONBLANK which has the benfit of returning NULL fi more than one or no value is selected. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.