Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jarjac
Frequent Visitor

Slicer selections not updated when using URL query filters

Hi,

i have a report including two slicers of type "single select" and "dropdown". The report is publsihed to the service. I want to be able to start the report with URL query filters from another report. The URL query filters refers to the same fieds as used in the two slicers.

When executing the URL i can see that the selections are transferred correctly (values shown in the filters on all pages in the filter pane ) but the existing filters selected via the slicers when the report was published to service are not removed. I can manually change the slicer values to the values  set via the query filters, but this is not what i want. Is there a way of getting rid of the selections in the slicers that was made when the report was published so that only the query filters are applied?

br

Jarle Jacobsen

1 REPLY 1
tex628
Community Champion
Community Champion

A selection in a slicer is not affected by any query updates. 
Essentially if you have a slicer, the current selection will remain even if the values themselves are no longer present in the table. 

My advice to you is to create a custom table to meet your specific filter needs. 

Take the values that you get in your URL query and categorize them with a column as "Proposed selection". 

DIfferentCarsType
Car - 1Proposed selection
Car - 4Proposed selection

Merge this table with your current dimension table 

DifferentCarsType
Car - 2 
Car - 3 
Car - 5 

Then create a custom column:

Column = if [Type] = null then [DifferentCars] else [Type]

This should give you the following table

DifferentCars

Column
Car - 2Car - 2
Car - 3Car - 3
Car - 5Car - 5

If you use this and then single select the "Proposed selection" value that should dynamically change depending on the values in the URL query. 

The only issue that remains is that you wont actually see which values are contained in the "Proposed selection" from the slicer, but i think there should be ways around that. 

Hope this was something along the lines of what you were looking for!

Br,
J

Connect on LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.