Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

saviourofdp
Frequent Visitor

Slicer selection remains when data changes

frIf I have a single-select slicer in a report which has a selection (in fact these slicers cannot not have a selection) and the data changes by refresh so that the selected item in the slicer does not exist in the data anymore, the slicer selection persists. I can demonstrate here using a second slicer:

data.PNG

Note that Filter 1 does not exist in Dataset 2.

report.PNG

If I select Dataset 2, Filter 1 persists and clears the chart.

report2.PNG

What I'd want is to have the slicer select the first in the list if the current selection does not exist in the data, especially if due to a data refresh.

It turns out the Chiclet Slicer is configurable in such a way to avoid this, but I want the slicer as a drop down format.

3 REPLIES 3
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Are these slicers dataset and filter coming from the same table?  If not then both dimensions need to have bi-directional join with fact.

Please refer

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-bidirectional-filtering

Appreciate your Kudos. In case, this is the solution you are looking for, mark it as the Solution. In case it does not help, please provide additional information and mark me with @
Thanks.

My Recent Blog - https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Comparing-Data-Across-Date-Ranges/ba-p/823601

v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @saviourofdp 

You might consider creating pbix file that will contain some sample data, upload the pbix to onedrive or dropbox and share the link to the file. Please do not forget to describe the expected results based on this sample data.

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

Hi - thanks for replying.

I was only using the 1st slicer to demonstrate the issue - it was easier to do it that way. As I explained in the original post, the actual issue has 1 slicer but occurs when a data refresh removes the records which populates the slicer and the item selected in the slicer is one of those values removed.

Can you access this ? demo pbix 

I've changed the example in case the 2 slicers were causing confusion. There are 2 tables: 01 Table which represents the original data and 02 Refreshed Table which represents the data after refresh. I created a chart and single-select slicer base on 01 Table, then duplicated the page and changed the visuals to point at 02 Refreshed Table in the second page. Filter 3 is selected in slicers in both pages. I then removed the last 3 rows from 02 Refreshed Table and applied the changes. The second page now still has Filter 3 selected but there is no data for this selection, so the chart does not display any data. 

I would want the slicer to be configurable so that it could automatically select a different option if the selected option no longer exists in the data.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.