Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

iparras78
Frequent Visitor

Slicer search for non text values

HI, hope someone can help on this.

I have a slicer filter on my report for a three of thousands of IDs. It would be great using search function (on the ellipses) but unfortunately only works with  values formated as text. I can not reformat my column due to access restrictions of the database, so thought it creating a duplicated column with a DAX formula that mirrors the original would do the trick. Due to same restrictions I can not simply add a column onto the database. Unfortunately my DAX knowledge is close to none. 

In essence, I am looking for a way to duplicate an entire column through a DAX formula so I can format as text this new column

Thanks in advance for the support

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @iparras78 ,

Sorry for that it is a live connection mode.

So you cannot create a calculate column, you just can create a measure. But Power BI cannot support to put a measure in slicer.

Maybe you can create a new pbix file and use the import mode.

Slicer1.jpg

Or you can create a measure like this, and change the type to Text, then put it in Filter on this Visual.

TEXT = MAX('fact table'[index]) //you can change it to Table[ID]

slicer2.jpg

slicer3.jpg

If you have any question, please kindly ask here and we will try to resolve it.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ zhenbw

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-zhenbw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @iparras78 ,

What data source do you use and what connection method do you use?

If it is import mode, you can create a calculate column to change the type, or you can change the type in Power Query Editor.

slicer1.jpg

If your connection is live connect, there is no way to change the type of this column.

You can process at the data source or you need to rebuild a new pbix file based on Import connection.

Best regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-zhenbw-msft thanks for taking the time to respond. it is a live connection indeed and yes there is no possibility to change the format on the original column. That is why I thought a potential workaround would be duplicating that column through DAX formula and then formatting that new column once you have it in the "Fields" section.

I am not skilled in DAX so apologies if there is any misinterpretation on how it actually works on my explanations

regards, I

Hi @iparras78 ,

Sorry for that it is a live connection mode.

So you cannot create a calculate column, you just can create a measure. But Power BI cannot support to put a measure in slicer.

Maybe you can create a new pbix file and use the import mode.

Slicer1.jpg

Or you can create a measure like this, and change the type to Text, then put it in Filter on this Visual.

TEXT = MAX('fact table'[index]) //you can change it to Table[ID]

slicer2.jpg

slicer3.jpg

If you have any question, please kindly ask here and we will try to resolve it.

Best regards,

There is a Visual named "Tile Search Slicer" . I think this will help you in getting what is required by you.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!

Fowmy
Super User
Super User

@iparras78 

Hope you can add a new column in your  Power BI data model?.

Under Data View, Go to the particular table > New Column and add the following code to add a new column, Replace the name of the column [current Column] as necessary:, This will format it as text

New Column = FORMAT(Tickets[[Current Column],"@")

If my answer was helpful, please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it

Click on the Thumbs-Up icon if you like this reply 🙂

YouTube  LinkedIn

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! and hit thumbs up

Subscribe and learn Power BI from these videos

Website LinkedIn PBI User Group

@Fowmy thansk for taking the time to reply. Unfortunately accessing to inner data is restricted, hence the need for using dax formula to replicate the original column, see below snap showing we only have "Report" option

iparras78_0-1599549116125.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.