Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

TinyElephant
Helper III
Helper III

Slicer responding to other visuals

Hello,

I was wondering if you can have a slicer in a dashboard that also responds back to other visuals.

For example, you have an "employee data" dashboard with Employee Names in a slicer list. Other visuals may be Departments, Job Role, Work Region etc. Is it possible to select, say, a specific department in a Donut Chart and have the Employees in the slicer list filtered down for that specific department? If not what's the alternate way to achieve this?

Slicer Power BI.gif

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Just found out I can use a Table or Matrix visual as a slicer which also responds back to other visuals.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
v-yalanwu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @TinyElephant ;

If each person corresponds to an independent department, the department can also be used as a slicer, or multiple Slicer can be used to filter the person, like use Departments and Work Region slicer to filter.

vyalanwumsft_0-1629339971886.png

So can you share some scenarios and simple data to better illustrate your problem?

Best Regards,
Community Support Team_ Yalan Wu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Just found out I can use a Table or Matrix visual as a slicer which also responds back to other visuals.

As can be seen in your sample, I the Employee Names slicer is filtering other visuals. But I also want other visuals to have the ability to filter the Names in the slicer.
E.g. Clicking on "Department A" in the Donut Chart should reflect only Amy, Helen, and Peter in the slicer. OR Clicking on the US region should reflect only the employees working in that region.

Slicer Power BI.gif

Hi, @TinyElephant ;

It's not clear why you're doing this, but slicer currently doesn't support this functionality.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team_ Yalan Wu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

If it's not possible then I'd welcome any workaround to this.

I'm not experienced in Power BI but it should be clear to anyone that you're trying to visualize the data here and you're not going to use more redundant slicers for each visual in your already packed dashboard page just to see the other way around. 

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@TinyElephant , if you filter slicer from visual. try one of the 2 ways

1) Use bi-directional relationship  between tables

2) Use a measure from common fact as a filter in Visual level filter, and check measure value is not blank

I have only one table for employee data.

@TinyElephant , then slicer should filter each other unless you stop then using interactions

from visual to slicer , try the measure filter approch

Yeah. The only slicer (containing employee names list) I have is obviously filtering other visuals but I want other visuals to also filter the names in the slicer.

I don't understand the measure filter approach.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.