Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Slicer removes all data unless it's at minimal position

This is a weird issue I'm having and I'm all out of options....

I have a slicer on a my date column, and I have a table that contains data. In that table, I have a column date, a column experiment_id and some results. Therefore I have duplicates on my date column, however, experiment_id increments. Now, I'm slicing that table with the date column (I created the relationship 1-to-many from my date table to my data table) and something weird happens. My table is empty when I play with the slicer, UNLESS its left handle is at the minimum position... Why is this happening? 

Edits:

Here are my screenshots. As you can, I'm supposed to see data from 2005, however, it is empty....

Empty data due to slicerEmpty data due to slicerSlicer at minimal positionSlicer at minimal position

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I decided to restart my project and try to reproduce in a new power bi report. Weirdly enough, I couldn't. I set everything as the other file, did the same steps as before and everythings works correctly; my graphic displays the data depending of the format I ask (year, month, day) and the date slicer works correctly. I'm guessing the pbix. was corrupted maybe ?

While anything is possible @Anonymous I seriously seriously doubt it is corrupt. Corruptoin generally means it won't work, or even load. not load very perfectly except one little thing acts weird. I am 99.999% sure there is something different in how you set it up, created a relationship, typed the field formats, or something, that caused the different.

Anyway, glad you got it sorted. If you have time, you should go back and figure out what the issue is. It may save you time in the future from repeating the mistake, or at least recognizing the ramifications of some choice made early in building the model.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting
edhans
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous Unless you have custom date formatting of some sort, those are not dates. 2005-10-03 is a common date format in some databases, but it needs to be converted in Power Query to a true date format - 10/3/2005 or 3/10/2005 depending on your region.

Go into Power Query, click on that date column. In the upper left, click on the tiny icon to the left of the column name, then select Date. While you are in there, make sure every field has a date type. Don't let any ABC/123 data types into your model unless you specifically know that a field should be variant, which is rare and not advised. Date, Time, integer, number, text, boolean/logical, etc. No "Any" types. You'll get weird results with formulas, relationships, and crossfiltering. Slicers are just a way to crossfilter.

2020-03-20_13-22-33.png

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@edhans I already set my datatype as date, since I wanted to get rid of the timestamp...

edhans
Super User
Super User

You cannot have duplicate data in your date table. If you do, it isn't a date table, it is just a table with dates.

As to the issue you are seeing with the slicer, without some data, screenshots, or better yet, a PBIX file that has no confidential data (share via OneDrive, Dropbox, etc) it is difficult to know what is going on. Could be an invalid relationship, your data types aren't set as you think, etc.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@edhans The duplicate date is not in my date table, but in my *data* table, column date.

I'll try to attach some file for the issue, I do understand it's a weird one.

Can, share screenshot of the problem.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.