Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Renaud
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Slicer "Select all" not working as expected

Hello,

i'm very frustrated with the "Select all" functionality in dropdown slicers.

It looks like it does absolutely nothing:

1) selecting all or selecting nothing provides the same result

2) you can't search AND select all the results of your search (i would expect something like in excel). When you search, the "select all" line disappears, so you have to select one by one each line.

If you pre-select "select all" before typing anything in the search area, then after searching everything is still selected, including the lines not in your search results...

Can someone explain to me how they manage to do a search AND select all the results of the search?

And additionally, what is the usage of the "single select" function? (I see no difference).

Thank you!

Renaud

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Renaud,

By default, selecting all and selecting nothing return the same result that show all records in a visual. If you want the visual to show nothing, maching with no slicer selection, you could use a ISFILTERED function inside your measure.

2) you can't search AND select all the results of your search (i would expect something like in excel). When you search, the "select all" line disappears, so you have to select one by one each line.

Currently, the common slicer doesn't support Search function. If you would like this feature, you would try Smart Filter by OKViz. But the requirement that combine "Search" and "Select all" is not supported now.

3) what is the usage of the "single select" function?

If you trun on the "single select" option, each time users can only choose one item from slicer. But "Select all" still works.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Renaud,

By default, selecting all and selecting nothing return the same result that show all records in a visual. If you want the visual to show nothing, maching with no slicer selection, you could use a ISFILTERED function inside your measure.

2) you can't search AND select all the results of your search (i would expect something like in excel). When you search, the "select all" line disappears, so you have to select one by one each line.

Currently, the common slicer doesn't support Search function. If you would like this feature, you would try Smart Filter by OKViz. But the requirement that combine "Search" and "Select all" is not supported now.

3) what is the usage of the "single select" function?

If you trun on the "single select" option, each time users can only choose one item from slicer. But "Select all" still works.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks that's very clear.

Regarding the "select all search results" feature, i have found this idea, i upvoted it:

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/15858583-slicer-search-add-select...

Abduvali
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

Hi @Renaud,

Each visual has its own limitations like traditional slicer won't allow you to search but we have great individuals to make our work easier =D

Install this slicer and it will allow you to do exactly what you want (search and select): Smart Filter by OKViz

Regards

Abduvali

Hello @Abduvali

This slicer is nice but it doesn't allow you to select all after you search and that's what a lot of people are after including myself.  

@brickhouse3539,

Check the Ideas page and see if there's already something posted - if not, feel free to submit your own idea.

@RMDNA,

Already done based on @Renaud comment but thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.