Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

joglidden2
Post Patron
Post Patron

Slicer on an existing group, is this possible?

By the time I was done looking for an answer, I could have been halfway done, but here goes... Groups and grouping is useless to me in PBI (because I do these things in the database), but I got this report from this guy where he did all this tedious, manual grouping using the incredibly powerful "edit groups" utility of PBI. Now, I need to extract this grouping data from the report for my db work.

I tried to create a slicer for the "groupings", whereupon I could just download the grouped items from a simple table. But when I drop the group into a slicer, it just displays all ungrouped items, not the groups. I tried it with a "Heirarchy Slicer", but the result was the same.

There must be a way to perform this simple task. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@v-yulgu-msft  thanks for the reply. I did get it working in a matrix afterall. Once you publish the report to 'My Workspace', you can then download the data to a spreadsheet or other format. It's funny how the matrix shrinks into a single colum in the download, but that was actually better. Then, I could parse to my heart's content. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @joglidden2 ,

I tried to create a slicer for the "groupings", whereupon I could just download the grouped items from a simple table. But when I drop the group into a slicer, it just displays all ungrouped items, not the groups. I tried it with a "Heirarchy Slicer", but the result was the same.

I cannot imagine the result as mentioned ” it just displays all ungrouped items, not the groups”. Please describe your problem with sample data and screenshot of current result and desired result.

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-yulgu-msft  thanks for the reply. I did get it working in a matrix afterall. Once you publish the report to 'My Workspace', you can then download the data to a spreadsheet or other format. It's funny how the matrix shrinks into a single colum in the download, but that was actually better. Then, I could parse to my heart's content. 

joglidden2
Post Patron
Post Patron

I also tried this with a matrix, which at least displays the group names in cols, but nothing downloadable. A table would be better. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.