Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

joglidden2
Post Patron
Post Patron

Slicer on an existing group, is this possible?

By the time I was done looking for an answer, I could have been halfway done, but here goes... Groups and grouping is useless to me in PBI (because I do these things in the database), but I got this report from this guy where he did all this tedious, manual grouping using the incredibly powerful "edit groups" utility of PBI. Now, I need to extract this grouping data from the report for my db work.

I tried to create a slicer for the "groupings", whereupon I could just download the grouped items from a simple table. But when I drop the group into a slicer, it just displays all ungrouped items, not the groups. I tried it with a "Heirarchy Slicer", but the result was the same.

There must be a way to perform this simple task. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@v-yulgu-msft  thanks for the reply. I did get it working in a matrix afterall. Once you publish the report to 'My Workspace', you can then download the data to a spreadsheet or other format. It's funny how the matrix shrinks into a single colum in the download, but that was actually better. Then, I could parse to my heart's content. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @joglidden2 ,

I tried to create a slicer for the "groupings", whereupon I could just download the grouped items from a simple table. But when I drop the group into a slicer, it just displays all ungrouped items, not the groups. I tried it with a "Heirarchy Slicer", but the result was the same.

I cannot imagine the result as mentioned ” it just displays all ungrouped items, not the groups”. Please describe your problem with sample data and screenshot of current result and desired result.

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-yulgu-msft  thanks for the reply. I did get it working in a matrix afterall. Once you publish the report to 'My Workspace', you can then download the data to a spreadsheet or other format. It's funny how the matrix shrinks into a single colum in the download, but that was actually better. Then, I could parse to my heart's content. 

joglidden2
Post Patron
Post Patron

I also tried this with a matrix, which at least displays the group names in cols, but nothing downloadable. A table would be better. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.