Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

nbarsley
Frequent Visitor

Slicer on Filtered Dataset not updating online

Hi, 

I have a date slicer which is sourced from a direct update table. The table is filtered in the advanced editor:

Table.SelectRows(dbo_CALENDAR, each [DAY_ID] >= Date.From(Date.AddDays(DateTime.LocalNow(),-45)) and [DAY_ID] <= Date.From(DateTime.LocalNow()) )

If I refresh the data and publish the report the slicer is updated on the web. But the slicer will not update when the report is refreshed from the web. It will keep the last date range from when the report was published. Am I missing something? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It seems as if using a filter advanced editor is only dynamic when the report is republished. I've converted the slicer to a filtered sql view. Using a view as the datasource has fixed the issue. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi @nbarsley 

when you log out of Power BI and come back to a report, the same items will be selected as when you left.

For your case, you could add a flag column in date table and then use it as a slicer.

For example:

If([Date]=TODAY(), "Today",  "Not Today")

Then set filter is "Today"

Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

It seems as if using a filter advanced editor is only dynamic when the report is republished. I've converted the slicer to a filtered sql view. Using a view as the datasource has fixed the issue. 

Could you expand on this answer please ? I'm using a WebAPI source that updates daily with a date slicer using 'between', which is frozen on the last date range from when I saved it.  I want it to expand to cover all dates as the range increases.

Hey there, 

My datasource was a sql table so I created a view that was filtered to only display data for -45 days to today and switched the slicer to the view. I *THINK* you might be able to accomplish the same thing using the advanced editor to filter the web api when you are refreshing the data. 

JarroVGIT
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

If you say refreshed from the web, are you talking about 'revisiting the report page'  or are you talking about a hard refresh of the dataset? Hitting refresh on the report view online doesn't refresh the underlying dataset, but refreshes the datamodel from the dataset. 

You can schedule a refresh on the dataset which should result in the correct data being loaded when looking at your report online. I would refer you to this documentation to configure a scheduled refresh of the dataset after you have published your report to the Power BI Service: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/refresh-scheduled-refresh

Kind regards

Djerro123

-------------------------------

If this answered your question, please mark it as the Solution. This also helps others to find what they are looking for.

Keep those thumbs up coming! 🙂

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Im confused! Every other query in our report refreshes when we hit the refresh button on the web. We're using directquery. Its only the slicer that isnt updating. 

I am sorry I didn't understood correctly what you meant. 

Could you share what you are seeing online vs what you expected to see? I know there is some caching going on with the online service that allows visuals to reload instantaneously and that might be applicable here. 

Kind regards

Djerro123

-------------------------------

If this answered your question, please mark it as the Solution. This also helps others to find what they are looking for.

Keep those thumbs up coming! 🙂

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.