Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Slicer object not effective on table

I am experiencing a strange issue. As you can see from the picture below, I created a slicer to filter out content based on the value of TweetID. It works on the other visual objects in the page, but it does not work on the table object where I am displaying the very same column on which I am filtering!

Schermata 2020-07-03 alle 18.31.28.png

As you can see, I selected a single value in the slicer, the table should be filtered (it says that the slicer is affecting the visual) by showing the only row containing the selected ID (all TweetIDs are unique) but the table keeps showing all the TweetIDs. This is driving me crazy, because I am sure it is a very basic feature that I am missing (I am completely new to Power Bi). My original intention was to use the table as a filter: by selecting a TweetID, all the other visuals should have changed. It did not work and I arrived to this result while trying to debugging it: the table seems to be unaffected by filters (and, in turn, does not work as a filter on the other visuals).

I am sure the relationships in the data model are correct and, in this case, we are talking about the very same table so no relationship should be involved.

I appreciate any help.

6 REPLIES 6
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

Could you check as i listed below?

Capture19.JPGCapture20.JPGCapture21.JPG

Best Regards
Maggie
Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous 

That is odd.  Is there any chance you can share your .pbix file?  (load it to OneDrive or DropBox and share the link here).

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jdbuchanan71 

Unfortunately I can't, there is plenty of Company-owned data in there. Is there any information I could give you to help you solve the issue? I am not really sure how to reproduce the problem with mock-up data. 

Can you start with a new .pbix and hook it to the same data source, see if you get the same behavior?  I was not able to reproduce the behavior you are seeing in a test file.

It is behaving like the TweetID fields in the table and the slicer are not from the same table.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Indeed, I did this and it worked properly. So thank you, I will accept your solution even if we did not really understand what the problem was.

I do not know why it did not work: even if the TweetID fields in the table and the slicer were not from the same table, but the two tables were linked on TweetID with a (1,*) relationship and cross filter on both ways, shouldn’t that work anyway?

Depending on the relationships it may not apply the filtering until a measure is added to the visual.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.