Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Slicer leaves the unselected values blank in matrix

Hi all, I have 2 different data sources with one common column X. I have created a bridge table to join to the 2 data sources separately. When I use the common column X on the report to filter one of the tables (matrix), for example, filter on education = "university", what I end up getting is values on the row where education = "university", however, the rest of the rows are still there, filled in with blanks. Please advise on what might be causing the issue, normally a slicer filters out the values that are unselected, not sure what's the case here.

Thanks in advance. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

Have you used any measure formulas who include the internal filters to force expand the calculations on filtered ranges?
In addition, it will help if you provide more detailed information about your scenario.

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly 
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

After a few testing with my measure. You are absolutely right, I believe the format funciton in my formula is driving this issue. 

However, I need the formula funciton in my measure as I am returning both actual $ and % change in my formula. Is there a way to go around this?

Thank you.

Regards,
Veronica

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

solution: I ended up using a IF statement to format the values when it is not blank. 

Just an FYI @Anonymous - You might look at the COALESCE function. Performs the same as IF, but a bit cleaner when you are looking to eliminate blanks.

It returns the first non-blank value in a list of values, and then returns the last value if all of the rest are blank.

Measure = 
VAR varRows = COUNTROWS(table)
RETURN
COALESCE(varRows,0)

That returns 0 if there are no rows, and thus blank. 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

Have you used any measure formulas who include the internal filters to force expand the calculations on filtered ranges?
In addition, it will help if you provide more detailed information about your scenario.

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly 
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

After a few testing with my measure. You are absolutely right, I believe the format funciton in my formula is driving this issue. 

However, I need the formula funciton in my measure as I am returning both actual $ and % change in my formula. Is there a way to go around this?

Thank you.

Regards,
Veronica

Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Ensure that the common column X is dragged from the bridge table.  If it still does not help, then share the link from where i can download your PBI file.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
edhans
Super User
Super User

Is your slicer using the bridge table columns, or one of the Column X from the two fact tables? It should use the common bridge table Column X, where that is filtering both fact tables in a 1:Many relationship.

Can you show a pic of the model and the slicer settings?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your kind reply. I am using the common bridge table column and it is 1:many to both of the 2 tables. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.