Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

janfcarl
Helper I
Helper I

Slicer keeps previous selected value after filtering

I have two single select slicers, one of them ("parent") is filtering the other ("child"). 

Example:

parent -> Organization 1 (Selected), Organization 2

child -> Site 1 (Selected), Site 2

Problem is when I change parent to "Organization 2", the child slicer is filtered (now shows Site 3, Site 4 as options),

but also keeps Site 1 selected. Is it possible to prevent this behaviour? It is very confusing for our customer.

The newly selected value should rather be Site 3, and Site 1 should disappear altogether from options.

12 REPLIES 12
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @janfcarl,

Nope, current you can't use a slicer to dynamic change other filters' selections. (current selection will keep even if the selected item has been filtered by other filters)

Perhaps you can submit an idea about dynamic update slicers or you can create a bookmark to save default selection then use it to reset whole page slicer selections.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, 

Have you tried to "Edit Interactions" in the Visuals Tools Menu?

I guess the interaction from Parent to Child has been disable and hence its keeping the previously selected value.

Hi, 

the interaction parent -> child is "filter", and child -> parent is "none". Child should not filter parent values.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Then, in your data "Site 1" may exists in Org1 and Org2. Please check that as well. 

Hi LP28,

no, definitely not, I checked it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess this is the default behaviour of the slicers in powerbi. The issue is also explained below.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Cascading-slicer-retaining-previous-value/td-p/704215

This is due to the child value is manually selected before changing selection in Parent slicer. 

I tried an alternative by importing custom visual "HierarchySlicer". It works good. You can try. 

Hi LP,

Thanks, I feared as much but thought there would be an option to turn it off.

Where can I get the custom slicer?

KR,

jan

Anonymous
Not applicable

Capture1.JPG

you can click on the ... 3dots from the Visualizations and go to get more visuals and look for Hierarchyslicer. This adds a new visual and then you can add your slicer values in this like below example:

Capture1.JPG

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Hi amitchandak,

thank you, I tried the hierarchy slicer, but it has one problem: if I select Organization 1, both Site 1 and Site 2 are selected by default (although they are formatted as "single select" and the slicer itself is "single select").

I do not want that. Instead, only Site 1 should be selected.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @janfcarl , @amitchandak 

Sorry to unearth this post after 1 year, have you found a solution for the "Single Select" in a slicer with Hierarchy ?

My goal is the same as you : I want users to select a single "Project", but for ordering/structural reasons, I have a parent level that is "Client".

The behavior when clicking on "Client" is that it selects all "Projects" belonging to that client. That's not what I call a "Single selection"! 

How could I still have "ordered" / "in folder" list of Projects in single select mode, without the Client being selectable ?

Thanks

Astounding there seems to be no solution to something that is quite a common need. I've iterated through every (free) slicer in the marketplace and can't find an ideal solution.

Using the hierarchicy slicer with a single field and filtering it via a 'parent' slicer does seem to work but it can't be in 'dropdown format', just radio buttons.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.