Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

GrahamR99
Resolver I
Resolver I

Slicer for two data sets

Hello

I have two querys query1 and query2 they both have Area, Shop Name and Shop Ref, I want one slicer to filter on both querys.  The two query have sumed fields but for different data.

I setup a thrid query with just the Area,Shop Name and Shop Ref, and added a relationship between query1 to my shop table, but it does not filter the data.

How do I get Query3 to filter Query1 and Query2 at the same time.

Regards

GrahamR99

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@GrahamR99 

Goto Options and Settings and disable this feature.

image.png

If this helps, mark it as a solution

Kudos are nice too.

Connect on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
VasTg
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@GrahamR99 

If you have relationship defined, does the arrow goes from query 3 to query 1 and query 2 in your model? If not, define a relationship between the tables. 

You might want to create a single column combining(area,shop name and shop reference) if your have composite key.

Kudos are nice too

Connect on LinkedIn

Hello VasTg

Shop Name or Shop Referance are both unique so either one of these should work no need to combine the three columns.

I need more of a description on how to setup the relationship, as it is this that is not working.

Regards

GrahamR99

Refer to this document on how to create a relationship.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-create-and-manage-relationships

Join them either based on shopname or shop reference. Then use the column from query 3 in the slicer.

If this helps mark it as a solution

Kudos are nice too

Connect on LinkedIn

Hello

I trying to make a relasionship with query 2 and I get a error how do I fix or work around?

Relationship error.jpg

Regards

GrahamR99

@GrahamR99 

Could you post two screenshots? Data model defined so far and manage relationships(This will give the info on column names)

Connect on LinkedIn

Hello

The is the relationship between the two table.

Relationship2.jpg

Regards

GrahamR99

Hello

Sorry my data model is a bit of a mess, I have more than the three tables of data in my Power BI desktop file.

If it help here it is;

Data Model.jpg

Regards

GrahamR99

@GrahamR99 

Its hard to understand the complete model with the picture. Somewhere it is creating a circular reference.

Could you post the table structure format of all the relationships with column names and filter direction format?

image.png

Table1,join_column in table1, Table2, join_column in table2,filter direction

If you go to manage relationships in model, it will give the info on first four.

Just the active ones. Please attach the PBIT file if you could.

Connect on LinkedIn

Hello VasTg

Sorry I'm not allowed to give you my Power BI file.

I have started from scratch and found that Power BI is automatically creating relationships between tables that are similar but I don't want a relationships between.

Is there a switch in Power BI to stop this automatic relationship from happening?

Regards

GrahamR99

@GrahamR99 

Goto Options and Settings and disable this feature.

image.png

Kudos are nice too.

Connect on LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.