Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Slicer for Buttons

Hi,
I have a report like this, I have added bookmarks and have tied them up to these buttons. But end-users do not know its clickable, Is there a way to create a slicer with a list of these buttons, so that the list of slicers act as those buttons?mock report.png

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Nathaniel_C
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

@MattAllington in his book Supercharge Power BI talks about using SWITCH() to create a morphing switch measure. I used bookmarks and shapes to create the illusion of pushing a button and the resultant display. I am pretty sure that we could tie that together with the slicer. Matt uses the slicer to switch between totally different visualizations like Total Cost, Total Margin and Total Sales. 

I will be working on this for another poster this weekend.  See what I can come up with for you as well.

Nice looking board!

If this solves your issues, please mark it as the solution, so that others can find it easily. Kudos are nice too.
Nathaniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

Nathaniel_C
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous ,

Worked quite a bit on this. What I ascertained is that Buttons can control a Bookmark, a Bookmark can control the state of a Slicer, therefore Buttons can control Slicers. The inverse unfortunately is not true. You could do something like a Slicer with a series of questions and have each selected item turn on a card. This is what I did for Using Slicers and Bookmarks as a demo - unfortunately as far as I can tell, Bookmarks only effectively control one page. (Had do two buttons for each scenario, and page) This was using Matt Allingtons Switch with Slicer. Each card exactly overlays the other - one card pair for the text description, and one card pair for the formatted number. (If you are interested in this method, we can discuss that.)

So thinking about this further it seems like this will be solved more along the lines of letting your users know that those items are buttons. It could be as simple as changing the state of the dashboard so that one of the buttons is selected. Although once again, Power BI does not let us have a selected state for our buttons, You can fake that in. Look at the next link.  I did this with bookmarks and pages. When you click on one button, the other buttons in a new vertical menu have lighter colors, that looks like they are "out of focus." I also turned of the data in those other ones.  So I gave them subliminal clues that those were buttons, including the various colors and their placement. So perhaps you need to have your active menu selection on the side in a vertical stand alone.  I bet people would figure it out. Also there is a tooltip when they float over them.

You can also check out something like this which is all bookmarks, and just copy each page to make a second page with the correct formatting. Then as I said it would look like they were getting a cool menu. My dashboard with bookmarks

Let me know how it goes! Like I said it a good looking dashboard!

If this solves your issues, please mark it as the solution, so that others can find it easily. Kudos are nice too.
Nathaniel

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Nathaniel_C
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous ,

Worked quite a bit on this. What I ascertained is that Buttons can control a Bookmark, a Bookmark can control the state of a Slicer, therefore Buttons can control Slicers. The inverse unfortunately is not true. You could do something like a Slicer with a series of questions and have each selected item turn on a card. This is what I did for Using Slicers and Bookmarks as a demo - unfortunately as far as I can tell, Bookmarks only effectively control one page. (Had do two buttons for each scenario, and page) This was using Matt Allingtons Switch with Slicer. Each card exactly overlays the other - one card pair for the text description, and one card pair for the formatted number. (If you are interested in this method, we can discuss that.)

So thinking about this further it seems like this will be solved more along the lines of letting your users know that those items are buttons. It could be as simple as changing the state of the dashboard so that one of the buttons is selected. Although once again, Power BI does not let us have a selected state for our buttons, You can fake that in. Look at the next link.  I did this with bookmarks and pages. When you click on one button, the other buttons in a new vertical menu have lighter colors, that looks like they are "out of focus." I also turned of the data in those other ones.  So I gave them subliminal clues that those were buttons, including the various colors and their placement. So perhaps you need to have your active menu selection on the side in a vertical stand alone.  I bet people would figure it out. Also there is a tooltip when they float over them.

You can also check out something like this which is all bookmarks, and just copy each page to make a second page with the correct formatting. Then as I said it would look like they were getting a cool menu. My dashboard with bookmarks

Let me know how it goes! Like I said it a good looking dashboard!

Nathaniel

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @Nathaniel_C ,
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I would be interested in the first method. Is there a way to sync the bookmarks with the slicers? Im not sure how to go about the switch morphing slicer. Can you help me with that? Thank you so much,
best,
Akash.

Hey @Anonymous ,

When you say the first method, to which one are you referring?

Thanks,

Nathaniel

@Anonymous ,

Want a slicer to behave like a button with bookmarks? 

There are two bookmarks in this. Two bookmarks

If you click on Bryan...I only made one active...on the left slicer (which is really an image with two buttons, and  two bookmarks, you will see that it behaves as a slicer, and activates the slicer.  Only Bryan though.

Nathaniel

Nathaniel_C
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

@MattAllington in his book Supercharge Power BI talks about using SWITCH() to create a morphing switch measure. I used bookmarks and shapes to create the illusion of pushing a button and the resultant display. I am pretty sure that we could tie that together with the slicer. Matt uses the slicer to switch between totally different visualizations like Total Cost, Total Margin and Total Sales. 

I will be working on this for another poster this weekend.  See what I can come up with for you as well.

Nice looking board!

Nathaniel

@Anonymous ,

One final thought is that you could have a slicer set up that would activate different cards - the cards would tell the user which button to select for the right action. So once again, you would have these cards overlay each other, with a blank one if nothing was selected. 

Nathaniel

Click on a button.PNG

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous unfortunately you cannot do any action when value in slicer is selected, although you can  create dyamic measures using slicer selection, depends what you doing on click of bookmarks

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.