Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Alyona_BI
Helper II
Helper II

Slicer filters aren't work with dynamic chart

Hi, Power BI guru!

I have the task to create dynamic chart, where user could select any dimension and see the result with help of bar chart. 

This is my simple data model: 

Alyona_BI_0-1610107499240.png

I did this task doing the following: 

1. I created new table for dimensions which could be used in selection: 

SelectedDimensions =
UNION(
DISTINCT(SELECTCOLUMNS(Products; "Value"; Products[Category]; "Dimension"; "Category"));
DISTINCT(SELECTCOLUMNS(Products; "Value"; Products[Brand]; "Dimension"; "Brand"));
DISTINCT(SELECTCOLUMNS(Products; "Value"; Products[Subbrand]; "Dimension"; "Subbrand"))
)
 The result: 
2021-01-08_140848.png

2. I created new measure (where for which dimension in selection i created virtual relation between values in [Selected dimesions] table and [Products] table): 

Avg discount dynamic = SWITCH(
TRUE();
SELECTEDVALUE(SelectedDimensions[Dimension]) = "Category";
CALCULATE([Avg basic discount in money];TREATAS(VALUES(SelectedDimensions[Value]);Products[Category]));
SELECTEDVALUE(SelectedDimensions[Dimension]) = "Brand";
CALCULATE([Avg basic discount in money];TREATAS(VALUES(SelectedDimensions[Value]);Products[Brand]));
SELECTEDVALUE(SelectedDimensions[Dimension]) = "Subbrand";
CALCULATE([Avg basic discount in money];TREATAS(VALUES(SelectedDimensions[Value]);Products[Subbrand]))
)

The result is ok: 

2021-01-08_141222.png

But if I select the dimension "Category" for chart and want to use slicer "Category" to see only several categories, it doesn't filter the chart and show me all categories: 

2021-01-08_141620.png

If i still have "Category" in dimesions and select something in "Brand" or "Subbrand" slicers then it filters the chart in correct way. For example: 

2021-01-08_143239.png

What I need to change in measure calculation to use slicer "Category" with selection "Category" as dynamic dimension in chart?

6 REPLIES 6
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

You could have a single slicer (instead of 3), using the Value column of your DAX table.  When you choose a Dimension, that should filter to just those values.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Hi @mahoneypat! Thanks for your idea. But in my description is a simple data model. In reality i have a lot of slicers and not related only to Products table, but also to several other different tables. And I need to give users the possiilty to filter with help of them in parallel. So i couldn't change all of them with help of Value column in slicer.  

Do you have any other ideas? 

Thanks in advance! 

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Alyona_BI , A table can not take slicer values.

The best you can do is to create this table as var table in measure.

Hi @amitchandak!

Could you help me with example for this var table in measure (related to my task)? 

Thanks in advance!

@Alyona_BI ,

In case you are looking for dynamic axis

You can explore these solution

1. You can use bookmark . https://radacad.com/bookmarks-and-buttons-making-power-bi-charts-even-more-interactive

2. You can unpivot the data to move columns to rows. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jeSIRpjv0M

3. There is new solution, but that work for direct query( May add one table as direct query for that - I have not tested)

https://datamonkeysite.com/2020/10/22/change-dimension-dynamically-using-parameter-in-powerbi/

Hi @amitchandak, I'm having exactly the same issue and came across this post. After the research and I figured out with this approach: View solution in original post

However because of the size of my dataset (4M rows) and the dynamic Axis I need, the dimension table would size 32M, this takes up a lot resource and slow down the performance. 

I'm wondering do you have any suggestions to make it work better? Thanks in advance. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.