Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

EZgrafton
Advocate II
Advocate II

Slicer drop down

Hi,

I just downloaded the Nov update; however, I cannot convert my slicers into a drop down list. The option is not available.

Please help!

slicer.png

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
robingol
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hi

I had the same issue, you need to put the header on in the slicer formatting and the option is then available.

View solution in original post

That's correct.  Go into settings for the visual and make sure the "Header" is On (not to be confused with the Title setting).

2016-12-13_10-47-47.jpg

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
smissimer

hi there! i was having the same issue and found a solution. when you click on the slicer in visualization go to format visuals > slicer settings > dropdown.  That is how I found the dropdown option. I could not make it work in the 'format' tab as powerbi suggests. 

Stange but there  is no > slicer ettings > dropdown choice...

Thank you! Solved my issue. 👌

Anonymous
Not applicable

As of December 2022, the easiest solution I found was to click the three dots (...) at the top of the slicer and click "show as a table." Next, click the downward arrows adjacent to the eraser symbol and click the dropdown option. Finally, click "back to report." Hope this helps!

Very helpful. I never would have found this on my own

Hi 
This has just solved my problem thanks to finding this post! Was really struggling finding how to switch to the dropdown option as it was very hidden...

Thanks Again

AnneKamanzi

Don't use filter, the drop down option is not there. Click on the icon that reads slicer when you hover over, this is under the visualisations section. The icon looks like a table with a filter on the bottom right.  On the right corner of the slicer, it will prompt you to add type of sliver then select drop down.  I hope this helps.slicer.PNG

robingol
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hi

I had the same issue, you need to put the header on in the slicer formatting and the option is then available.

For me the solution was to put the field (I wanted to dropdown a year column) on don't summarize. 

This type of behavior drives me nuts.  What kind of logic is behind turning on a totally unrelated feature to make another feature work properly?  I spent over an hour trying to  apply a 'less than or equal' capability in a slicer.  All the online tutorials make it look so easy to simply choose the setting from a drop down list, but none said I needed to turn the Header on first.  Ridiculous.

@rodlovely yeah, thank God for the forum. I just discovered this too, after using Power BI for close to 2 years. It does not make any sense at all - turning it on, and later off again (because I am using Title instead of Header Name).

That's correct.  Go into settings for the visual and make sure the "Header" is On (not to be confused with the Title setting).

2016-12-13_10-47-47.jpg

robingol
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hi,

I have the same problem and hovering over the slicer doesn't show the drop down option.

I have the same issue. I alredy upgraded Power BI Desktop to the latest version 2.74.5619.621 64-bit , and activate the Slicer Header but the problem remains.

I found a workaround, not so elegant but works. The lastes version now allows us to copy a visual from another Power BI file, so I copied a working dorpdown list slicer from another file to the new file where I have the issue. Then, I updated the field info and it worked.

As I said this is just a workaround, the issue still remains if I create a new slicer from visualition panel

Hoper this helps

I've just came across this issue myself today. I'm almost sure this feature was working before?

The dropdown selection appears in edit mode but when in read mode on the service the dropdown to change slicer type is not there? I have slicer header turned on.

Has anyone else came across this?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I just ran into the same issue - working on desktop and can't change my slicer to a dropdown.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I just downloaded the Oct version of PBI desktop and now I'm able to change the slicer 🙂

@Anonymous  am also using the October version: 2.74.5619.862 64-bit (October 2019).

I created this report months ago. I created a new file as a test this morning and still can't switch between the date slicer types.

robingol
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hi 

I have the same problem. Re-downloaded the November update and the problem persists, the drop down option isn't available even when hovering over the slicer.

v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @EZgrafton,

I have tested it on my side, and I can switch my Slicers Between List and Dropdown with the latest version of Power BI Desktop(2.41.4581.361 64-bit (November 2016)).

When hovering over a Slicer on the report, the option to switch between List and Dropdown will show up automatically.Smiley Happy

slicer.PNG

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.