Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

M_Potts
Frequent Visitor

Slicer default date not updating as desired

Hi there

I know this has been addressed a bit in the past but not quite with this specific situation.

See below. I select 'Last week to' most recent sunday. Then I upload it to the cloud selected so that it is the default value (The one it goes to when you click 'set to default') -->. set to default.PNG

sliderDates2.PNG

The issue is that once this is updated (e.g. the data is now 'Last week to 2018-04-15'), the 'default' value is looking for 2018-04-08, not the updated value. So the report just shows a bunch of null values. The same goes for if I were to upload and then refresh. The only way to fully update is to click out of the report and back in.

Now the obvious solution is to just have a column that says "Last weeks" rather than trying to have the date. The issue is that the the dashboard is specifically meant to show these dates because the data hand-in day is not always the same, so we want stuff like "Last week/last 4 weeks to [LAST SUNDAY]". 

So, I wonder, is there a way for this to work? At the moment, these values are just coming through in the SQL. Maybe there's a way to create measures that take thesespecific sundays instead?

Thanks!

M

3 REPLIES 3
Mmahachi
Advocate I
Advocate I

I am still having a very similar issue - but specifically when the useres do not want to see the "labels" like "last week" but rather they want to only see the actual date value. is there some way to allow for the default 'last week' value to be selected in the slicer after data refreshes?

v-xjiin-msft
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @M_Potts,

In your scenario, how did you define the slicer? Could you please share us your formula? And if you want to know "is there a way for this to work". We should know that make this slicer work for what.

So, please share us more detailed information about your requirement.

Thanks,
Xi Jin.

Hi @v-xjiin-msft.

There's actually no formula (Although I have tried creating a measure/column but to no avail). Inside the column that is defining the slicer are all the values you see here:

sliderDates2.PNG

There are more values similar to the above. The client specifically wants it to be this way. 

What it does is filter the entire page for the selected date. 

The thing is, the data is updated until every SUNDAY, so if I were to just have 'last 7 days', the person reading would think "oh, so that's the last 7 days from now." It's 7 days prior to the sunday that the data came through. 

The issue is a very narrow one. Here's a similar table. The value that I have set to default in the slicer is the top one:

beforeupdate.PNG

Now the updated data comes in. All of the data looks like this:

AfterUpdate.PNG

Then what happens is I refresh this data on power BI, I select the new default filter (the top one) and upload it to the cloud.

While looking at the cloud I then press 'refresh' (on the toolbar).

refresh.PNG

What happens now, however, is that the report on the cloud still wants to see data from "Last week to 2018-04-08". All the values become 'null'. It does not update until I restart the whole page. 

It's a fairly narrow issue, but obviously it's a better look if there were some way around it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.