Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Slicer by Alias

I would like to use the Dimension Alias table as a slicer for data in my Primary Table. I do not need to aggregate. Trying to limit the amount of slicer selections to save screen real estate.

Dimension Alias Column
2D
3D

Primary Table

Dimension Column
2D On
2D Off
3D On
3D Off
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You have to create a primary table that has 2D and 3D as the key. You cannot use a measure for this as measures cannot be used in slicers. You could use a calculated column, but that isn't advised. Your best bet is to do this in Power Query. Use Text.Start([Field name],2) to create your column in the 2D on/off, 3D on/off table, and make the 2 record table "2D/3D" your DIM table (index/key) and your other table your FACT table.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
edhans
Super User
Super User

You just have to relate the fields in the Model view of the desktop app.

If that isn't what you are asking, please be more specific in the details of what you have.

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @edhans. I forgot to mention that the data I posted is a column in the primary table. So the "2D off" and "2D On" are values in a Dimension column. Will update the post to reflect this.

You have to create a primary table that has 2D and 3D as the key. You cannot use a measure for this as measures cannot be used in slicers. You could use a calculated column, but that isn't advised. Your best bet is to do this in Power Query. Use Text.Start([Field name],2) to create your column in the 2D on/off, 3D on/off table, and make the 2 record table "2D/3D" your DIM table (index/key) and your other table your FACT table.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.