Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

edmundhall

Slicer behaviour with matrices

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if it is possible to set up a matrix visualisation so that only one group within the columns field interacts with a slicer?
My understanding is that slicer interactions can only be turned on/off for an entire visualisation.

The context of my question is that I'd like the information within the YTD Actual columns of the attached picture filtered by a date slicer, while the FY Outlook columns remain static.

It would be trivial to do this with two seperate visualisations, but I need to keep it all in one matrix visualisation as the number of accounts and will vary depending on the selection of other slicers such as division and branch, and comparing across two matrix visualisations with mismatched lines is not ideal. I haven't been able to think of a clean way of achieving this yet. Any help would be appreciated! 

My data model consists of two main fact tables (from which the FY Outlook and YTD Actual information are sourced), and account and date dimension tables.

Snip of my existing visualisation

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@edmundhall you need to create measures.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@edmundhall for keep your measure at fixed value, you can change the measures as below:

Budget Fixed = 
CALCULATE ( 
SUM( YourFact[Budget] ), 
ALLCROSSFILTERED( YourDateDimensionTable )
)

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

Yes, I've read about various operations to prevent filtering on specific measures, but my issue is that the items I have in the values field of the matrix are calculated columns of a table, rather than measures.

@edmundhall you need to create measures.

Yeah, that worked! It would be great to have a feature where columns could be excluded from a slicer as the way the grouping would be a little nicer in a matrix - hopefully this feature might get implemented in the future

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.