Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MariaRusso

Slicer and Relationships

Hi,

So I have 3 different tables that has the same columns but represent different data based on each quarter
Q1 2021, Q2 2021 and Q3 2021.

What I am trying to do is create a slicer that can be picked and generate the data for each quarter.
For example one column in all 3 tables is Fund Name.
I want to create a slicer that can have a drop down on the Fund Name, and then the 3 pie charts I have that represent each quarter to filter out that Fund Name.
As of right now, I have 3 slicers and 3 graphs and when I pick one fund name from the slicer, I have to manually do it for the other 2 slicers instead of producing just one slicer.

If that makes sense. 
I understand it has something to do with the relationships between the tables but when I manage a relationship and try to connect columns together it does not produce the correct output.
Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MariaRusso 

Here I have two ways to achieve your goal.

1. Create a "DimFundName" table and relate this table with "Q1 2021", "Q2 2021" and "Q3 2021" tables. Then filter visuals by FundName Slicer based on "DimFundName" table.

1.png

2. If "Q1 2021", "Q2 2021" and "Q3 2021" tables have the same format, add a cutom column to show Quarter and Year then try Append function to combine these tables as one. Then filter your visuals by this Fund Name Column.

3.png

For reference: Append queries

You can download my sample to learn more details.

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MariaRusso 

Here I have two ways to achieve your goal.

1. Create a "DimFundName" table and relate this table with "Q1 2021", "Q2 2021" and "Q3 2021" tables. Then filter visuals by FundName Slicer based on "DimFundName" table.

1.png

2. If "Q1 2021", "Q2 2021" and "Q3 2021" tables have the same format, add a cutom column to show Quarter and Year then try Append function to combine these tables as one. Then filter your visuals by this Fund Name Column.

3.png

For reference: Append queries

You can download my sample to learn more details.

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

HotChilli
Super User
Super User

"same columns but represent different data" Is there a reason that you are not combining the data into one table if they all have the same columns?

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@MariaRusso , Not very clear. Hope you have common tables and Qtr and fund name ?

Can you share sample data and sample output in table format?

You need to be star Schema in https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/the-importance-of-star-schemas-in-power-bi/

I have 3 tables imported into Power BI via Excel
All tables consist of columns named Client Name, Account Inception, Market Value, Client Inception, Fund Family, Fund Name, Group.
I do not have any other tables.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.