Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

vincentakatoh
Helper IV
Helper IV

Slicer and New Table (subset of original table)

Hi, 

Created a new table "Yield" based on Original Table "Data". How can use 1 slicer for both table "Yield" and "Data",

Currently, to select a "Line", I need to use 2 "Line" slicers, one from each table. 

sample data

2017-05-19 14_56_17-Production Sample Data 0519 - Power BI Desktop.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @vincentakatoh

Glad to hear it worked for you.

Yes each dimension you want to link to mutiple fact tables will have to be created separately and linked.

Cheers

CheenuSing

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution and also give KUDOS !

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
CheenuSing
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @vincentakatoh

I presume your source data is the table called "data" in your model.

If you want the same dimension ( Line) to slice on both your data and Yield table create a link table called LineTable as

LineTable = summarize (data,[Line])

Using Manage Relationship connect the LineTable to both Yield and data table.

Create Line slicer based on the Linetable[Line].

Ttry it out and it should work.

If it works for you please accept it as a solution and also give KUDOS.

Cheers

CheenuSing

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Hi @CheenuSing,

Great! Works perfectly. Last question, if i need to link multiple dimensions (eg date, area, line, station) to both tables.

Do I need to create a linktable for each dimension (eg. station, area) ? Below i created 2 individual linktable (date, line). 

2017-05-22 13_45_04-Start.png

Hi @vincentakatoh

Glad to hear it worked for you.

Yes each dimension you want to link to mutiple fact tables will have to be created separately and linked.

Cheers

CheenuSing

Proud to be a Datanaut!
vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

if i am understanding you correctly, you want to filter both tables with the same slicer?  Have you created a relationship between the 2?

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Hi, Tried to establish relationship between the dates but recieved error message.

I'm guessing error message is because Table_Yield is created from Table_data. As such, the "line" columns in both data has the exact same information. 

2017-05-19 16_12_51-.png

@vincentakatoh,

"You can't create a relationshio between these two columns because one of the columns must have unique values."
This means that it's not supported many to many relationship directly in current Power BI. You could create a brige table. Please refer to the link below to see the details.
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-relate-these-two-Many-to-Many-Tables/td-p/40952

Regards,

Charlie Liao

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.