Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tobiasmcbride
Helper III
Helper III

Slicer affecting columns issues

Hi,

I am drawing on database date for actuals vs. budget. I then have a version number filter and a variance calculator (Actual minus Budget ÷ Budget). 

I am encountering problems whereby the filter (which is for the budget version number as we have original, estimate 1, 2 etc.) is not only affecting the budget column but the actuals column - as such the actuals number appears when I select 'original' budget but I get blanks in the actuals column when I select other budget estimates. 

This also affects the variance calculator as it then defaults to -100% when I choose different budget estimates. I have tried separating to different tables but less keen for that as we may not align on the rows (which are cost categories) and also it will still affect the variance.

Any ideas on how I can get it so that the filter only affects the budget column and the budget value in the variance calculator and does not affect the actuals?

6 REPLIES 6
v-gizhi-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi,

Could you please share some sample data and expected result as screenshots here?

And remember to remove any sensitive data.

Thanks.

Best Regards,

Giotto Zhi

Hi @v-gizhi-msft 

The data itself is confidential and linked directly to a SAP Hana database in the company. Essentially when I select Budget I get columns for both actuals and planned cost in the table I have.

However, when I select any of the other estimates the actuals column stays but without any values, whilst the budget column updates to reflect the new estimate selected. What should happen is that this filter in the database should only filter the budget column/values but it seems to be affecting the actuals as well and not sure how to override it.

Hi,

Do you have more than one table in your data model?

If so, please check its relationships.

Best Regards,

Giotto Zhi

Hi @v-gizhi-msft both items are in the same table in the database under cost classification

Hi,

Could you please create a sample as an example to show the issue more obviously?

Thanks.

Best Regards,

Giotto Zhi

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Please see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.