Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ThomasDay
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Slicer Select All Weirdness

Hello Fellow Dax'ers,

I'm very surprised at the behavior of "Select All" within a slicer.  Here's an example:

Build a slicer with Single Select off, Select All on.

Cross filter this slicer so that a few rows are shown in the slicer.  Check a few boxes--all's well.  The records checked are selected.

Now check "Select all"---and at this point the boxes shown in the slicers are checked, so far so good...but actually EVERY record is checked.  The cross-filter doesn't restrict the Select all in any way.  Weird.

That sure doesn't seem right. Tom

Capture.PNGCapture1.PNG Capture2.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi MbProg,

According to your description, the Select All feature is enabled for the slicer. When you check multiple individual values in the slicer, the card will display the correct row count values. But if you select all values by checking Select All option, the card displays wrong values, right?

Below is my test sample:

1. Create a simple table with duplicate records.(Test4 has 4 records, others has one)

Capture.PNG

1. Create the slicer and the measure.

Capture2.PNG

Measure: Count of Row = COUNTROWS(Test).

Result:

Capture3.PNG

1. Choose the ‘select all’.

Capture4.PNG

In summary, the slicer shows the distinct value of column(eg: Name) you placed in the slicer. Maybe some duplicate records are in your table(eg: Test 4), though you choose the 'select all', it will count rows for all records which are related to checked slicer values.

In addition, if you want to get the distinct value of the row, you can try to use below formula:

1. Count of Row = COUNTROWS(DISTINCT(Test[Name]))
  2. Count of Row = COUNTROWS(VALUES(Test[Name]))

Capture5.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
bdue
Helper I
Helper I

I am having this same issue with a new data set.  I have a list of ~600 records to filter a list of ~7000 records and when I select any number of the 600 up to 599, it filters the report perfectly, but if I select all, it filters none.  I haven't experienced this behavior before, so it is quite bewildering to me. 

KH88
Frequent Visitor

Hi - 

I'm having the same issue. Is there a solution? 

I have two slicers, one that selects and filters to a recipe and one that allows selection of the ingredients within that recipe. Most of the time the user will want to use "select all" to filter for all of the ingredients in that recipe, however, when "select all" is selected, the table defaults to all of the ingredients in the entire database, not specific to the ones listed for that already selected recipe. The only option I have found is to individually select each ingredient in the list with the control key, but that is very tedious when there are 10+ ingredients in each recipe. 

The data in my tables is specific to the ingredients as a whole, not specific to the recipe, so I can't use a hierarchy slicer because my tables are set to not interact with the recipe filter, just the ingredient filter (so combining the two fields into one slicer means my tables no longer show the data as intended). 

Hoping someone has figured out a solution to this one!

Elorian
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hello,

Still, 1 year and a half the last message, the same issue not corrected. 2 slicers, 1 filtering the 2nd, and the "select all" on the second shows the full table content the slicer is related to.

Don't understand how it has never been fixed...

Kr,

Elorian.

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi MbProg,

According to your description, the Select All feature is enabled for the slicer. When you check multiple individual values in the slicer, the card will display the correct row count values. But if you select all values by checking Select All option, the card displays wrong values, right?

Below is my test sample:

1. Create a simple table with duplicate records.(Test4 has 4 records, others has one)

Capture.PNG

1. Create the slicer and the measure.

Capture2.PNG

Measure: Count of Row = COUNTROWS(Test).

Result:

Capture3.PNG

1. Choose the ‘select all’.

Capture4.PNG

In summary, the slicer shows the distinct value of column(eg: Name) you placed in the slicer. Maybe some duplicate records are in your table(eg: Test 4), though you choose the 'select all', it will count rows for all records which are related to checked slicer values.

In addition, if you want to get the distinct value of the row, you can try to use below formula:

1. Count of Row = COUNTROWS(DISTINCT(Test[Name]))
  2. Count of Row = COUNTROWS(VALUES(Test[Name]))

Capture5.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
CahabaData
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

you have 2 slicers on the same page referring to the same table/field?   .....   that confuses me.....

www.CahabaData.com

Edit: Yes, that is exactly true.  These slicers are cross filtered...and as such they operate to slice the file further with each one.  (It depends on the structure of the file naturally, but these all operate on different columns.  Pick a bed size, state and so forth to narrow things down, then pick from the filtered slicer of names.)

That's very common and customary for a file with a series of demographic/attribute columns.  So the filtered list of names--can be left alone--in which the full set remains the selection...or picked singly from the list to further refine.  The use of the "Select All" in this instance is used to allow someone to pick the full slicer list and then deselect a name or two to refine.  

So--that's more context of this example.  And the "select all" picks every possible record in the table rather than the list shown.

Tom

sorry we're not in sync:  I asked originally if you had 2 slicers on the same page operating on the same column

you replied with: that's exactly true   .... but then stated....  they work on different columns

soooooo.....

I definitely have had 2 slicers on the same page working on different columns without a problem and so still wonder about whether they are both actually attempting to work on the same column.....   sorry to prolong this......

www.CahabaData.com

You're quite right, I edited my reply which means the original was not stated correctly--it was wrong.  In truth, I'm not understanding your question's context I guess.  If you're thinking that two slicers on the same column is the issue...perhaps you  could state that.  Perhaps the issue is what are the snips showing.  The one on the right is the slicer after hitting select all.  The one on the left is clicking individual boxes.  The row counts are in the card display next to the two examples.

I have a series of slicers ALL operating on a selection of rows.  The rows are then displayed on a matrix and in a slicer for further refinement via a slicer of the provider name.  This is a slicer on the same table, NOT the same column as any above.  It's not a conflict in that way.

The rest of the conundrum holds true.  Click on the select all...and every row in the table is selected--not just the rows highlighted by the slicer.  And by the way...it does work the way I'd expect in other situations.  Perhaps the slicer's values are too long or some other thing.

Hi - I have exactly the same problem as you've described.

Two slicers cross linked - a) filter on the first then b) choose select all on the second...results in ALL records not just those displayed

I wondered if you ever found a solution?

Thanks

No, I have simply moved on and am unable to use what would be a very useful design.  Slicer 1 gets a shorter list, slicer 2 is a refining slicer...where select all selects all of the short list items...and a user can uncheck a few for example.  This would be very helpful and simplifying for my needs.

Let me know if you figure something out and sorry for the tardy reply, I was off the grid for 2 weeks...

Tom

I couldn't get the standard slicers to function the way I needed them to so I switched tact.

I now use the hierarchy slicer for my 'child' slicer which works much better and gets around the 'select all' problem

Adding my voice to the list as I am having the same issue, unfortunately a hirarchy slicer won't work for my needs either. Incredible that there has been no improvement in four years, it would be so easy for microsoft to add a toggle switch for "applies to all", "applies to shown" right next to where you enable the select all button. 

Has anyone come up with another workaround for this?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.