Accepted Solution

Slicer - Remove "All" as an option in Dropdown Slicer

I am currently using a Slice in my dashboard.  Is there a way to force a user to select an item from the Dropdown?

The use case when a user selects an option in the dropdown, and then de-selects it, the control defaults to "All".  I was wondering if there is an option to remove this as an option?

Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions

Re: Slicer - Remove "All" as an option in Dropdown Slicer (How to create a "Selector")

Thank you @KHorseman

You are correct.

In the meantime, I have found a solution when using a Chiclet Slicer.

So for those who need a quasi-selector behavior - this is one way to do it.

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Always-one-value-selected-in-Slicer/m-p/62081#M25549

View solution in original post

All Replies
Super User

Re: Slicer - Remove "All" as an option in Dropdown Slicer

You have to remember that a slicer isn't a selector, it's a filter. If nothing is selected, then there is no filter in place, which means the selection is "All". Selecting an item in a slicer isn't the same as entering a selection where none previously was made. It's limiting the previous "all" selection to just that selected item.

Re: Slicer - Remove "All" as an option in Dropdown Slicer (How to create a "Selector")

Thank you @KHorseman

You are correct.

In the meantime, I have found a solution when using a Chiclet Slicer.

So for those who need a quasi-selector behavior - this is one way to do it.

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Always-one-value-selected-in-Slicer/m-p/62081#M25549

Community Support Team

Re: Slicer - Remove "All" as an option in Dropdown Slicer (How to create a "Selector&

@irnm8dn,

Thank you for sharing the solution. You could help mark it as answer. That way, other community members may also benefit. Your contribution is highly appreciated.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.