Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Slicer Hierarchy Search

Hi,

I was wondering if it is possible to search two different columns in a table using something similar to a Heirarchy slicer.

My problem is:

I have two different columns: "Project Head" and "Project Lead". I would like to search for people in one of these columns, or both using a heirarchy slicer. The Slicer would look something like this:

• Bob
    • Project Head
    • Project Lead
  • John
    • Project Head

I would like to be able to filter for Bob, searching both columns if I select both "Project Head" and "Project Lead".

Performing a different search, I would like to be able to filter the table for Bob in only "Project Head"

Let me know if this is possible. Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for you're response! This was not exactly what I was looking for but pushed me in the right direction.

First I took my original table and added an index column to it:

Capture.PNG

Then, I made a copy of this table, deleting the "Project Name" column as this was not needed. I then used "Unpivot Columns" on columns "Project Lead" and "Project Head":

Capture2.PNG

This then allowed me to close my queries, and edit the relationships in the main page. For this, I made a relationship between the indexes, Cross Filtering in Both Directions:

Capture3.PNG

I could then create my table and Hierarchy Slicer. The Hierarchy Slicer can filter the table for one column, or both, depending on the selection:

Capture4.PNG

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous ,

Suppose sample table is like this.

6.PNG

In Query editor mode, choose [Project Head] and [Project Lead], click "unpivot columns" to convert table to below structure.

2.PNG3.PNG

In report view mode, drag [Name] and [Head/Lead] fields into custom visual HierarchySlicer. And use a Matrix visual to display data.

4.PNG5.PNG

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for you're response! This was not exactly what I was looking for but pushed me in the right direction.

First I took my original table and added an index column to it:

Capture.PNG

Then, I made a copy of this table, deleting the "Project Name" column as this was not needed. I then used "Unpivot Columns" on columns "Project Lead" and "Project Head":

Capture2.PNG

This then allowed me to close my queries, and edit the relationships in the main page. For this, I made a relationship between the indexes, Cross Filtering in Both Directions:

Capture3.PNG

I could then create my table and Hierarchy Slicer. The Hierarchy Slicer can filter the table for one column, or both, depending on the selection:

Capture4.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.