Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rel2022
Frequent Visitor

Slicer Hierarchy Help

Hi,

I'm new to PowerBI and trying to figure out how to solve a problem related to adding multiple filters to a slicer and the hierarchy it creates.

My data is made up of survey questions, the average score per question, and the group the data belongs to (there are multiple columns for all of the sub-groups. Some groups have many levels, some don't). So it looks something like this made up data below (but there are a lot more questions and a lot more groups/sub-groups):

QuestionScoreLevel 1Level 2Level 3Level 4
155Group ASubgroup A1Subgroup A1.1Subgroup A1.2
2.66Group ASubgroup A1Subgroup A1.1Subgroup A1.2
3.44Group ASubgroup A1Subgroup A1.1Subgroup A1.2
1.77Group ASubgroup B1Subgroup B1.1Subgroup B1.2
2.54Group ASubgroup B1Subgroup B1.1Subgroup B1.2
3.32Group ASubgroup B1Subgroup B1.1Subgroup B1.2
1.82Group AGroup AGroup AGroup A
2.58Group AGroup AGroup AGroup A
3.39Group AGroup AGroup AGroup A

Power BI correctly makes the hierarchy in the slicer:

rel2022_1-1653317254483.png

But the problem I'm running into is that it allows users to select the top-most parent leaf (Group A in this case) and that selects all of the leaves underneath and it averages all the values from Subgroup A1, Subgroup B1, Group A, etc. to calculate the average score for all of the questions in Group A. Unfortunately, this leads to incorrect calculations in my visuals b/c there aren't individual entries for every small sub-group if the sample size was too small, so calculating averages like that doesn't work. Instead, we need people to select the child "Group A" if they want to see the overall scores for all of Group A. Similarly, if they want to see the scores for a sub-group, they should click the appropriate child leaf (e.g., Subgroup B1.2).

Can anyone think of a way around this problem? I don't think there's a way to only allow them to select the child leaf, so I need another way around this issue.

Thanks in advance!

4 REPLIES 4
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rel2022 

Currently I don't understand what is the correct average score you want to achieve for every group you select. Can you please introduce how you want to calculate the average for Group A and how to calculate the average for a sub group based on some sample data?

And what is the visual that's used to display the average measure? What is your average measure's DAX code? We may need to modify the measure according to the expected visual you want to output. 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing

Thanks for your response, @v-jingzhang 

The average is just calculated based on creating a new measure and using the Calculate function and filtering based on the questions that should be part of that "index". For example: 

Index 1 =

CALCULATE(AVERAGE('Sheet1'[Score]), 'Sheet1'[Question] IN { 1, 2})

I'm using 3 types of visuals: bar charts, line charts, and tables.

The problem arises when I make the slicer with the multiple filters/hierarchy. If someone uses the slicer and clicks "Group A", they will get average scores that is made up of the data from Group A, Subgroup A1.2, and Subgroup B1.2 since Group A is the parent for all of those and the slicer automatically selects everything that falls under Group A.

The desired outcome is they would only get the averages that make up Group A's data - which is the last 3 lines of the sample data above. That is just one example, it happens all over the place anytime a parent node has multiple child nodes. This happens because my dataset isn't the full raw dataset, the scores are already averages and not the entire raw dataset (which isn't available), and doesn't have every sub-group if their sample size was too small (their data is just captured in the average of the parent group).

So basically, I need a way to only have the visuals update if the person clicks the lowest sub-group level and it should just display the results from those lines in the dataset. Which sometimes is Level 4 in my dataset, but other times could be Level 1, 2 or 3.

Thanks for your help!

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@amitchandak Thanks for the response. I'm new to all this, would you mind elaborating on how I'd use isinscope to help with this problem? My visuals mostly use measures to calculcate the average of either all of the questions or specific sub-sets of them. Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.