Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

smillward
Frequent Visitor

Slicer / Filter Against Multiple Columns

I want to be able Filter or slicer a set of data, based on values within two seperate columns.

Currently it is stored like This

Player 1   Player 2   Viewers   Game

Bert         Ernie          50            Halo

Ernie        Hank         32            Geometry Wars

George    Hank         51            Halo

My ideal situation is to have a slicer, with each of the players names (Bert, Ernie, George and Hank) that will allow me to see, in this example the total viewers of game this player has played,

So Bert: 50, Ernie: 82, George: 51, Hank: 83

I also would like if two names are selected, to display the total viewers of the two player combined,

so selecting George + Ernie: 133.

So far I have been unable to come up with a solution, so any advice or suggestion would be welcome, and I am able to restructure the data in order to get to the desired result.

As a flag, this is to be a page level filter/slicer, and it is not just a question of reaching the number by calculate(sum(), player="")

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @smillward,

You can try to use contains function to achieve your requirement.

Sample:

1. Use"player 1" and "player 2" to create a selector table.

Select = UNION(VALUES(Game[Player 1]),VALUES(Game[Player 2])) 

2. Write a measure to calculate selected value.

Total = CALCULATE(SUM(Game[Viewers]),FILTER(ALL(Game),CONTAINS(ALLSELECTED('Select'[Player 1]),'Select'[Player 1],[Player 1])||CONTAINS(ALLSELECTED('Select'[Player 1]),'Select'[Player 1],[Player 2])))

3. Use "Select" table as the source of slicer, then drag total measure to card visual.

3.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @smillward,

You can try to use contains function to achieve your requirement.

Sample:

1. Use"player 1" and "player 2" to create a selector table.

Select = UNION(VALUES(Game[Player 1]),VALUES(Game[Player 2])) 

2. Write a measure to calculate selected value.

Total = CALCULATE(SUM(Game[Viewers]),FILTER(ALL(Game),CONTAINS(ALLSELECTED('Select'[Player 1]),'Select'[Player 1],[Player 1])||CONTAINS(ALLSELECTED('Select'[Player 1]),'Select'[Player 1],[Player 2])))

3. Use "Select" table as the source of slicer, then drag total measure to card visual.

3.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Trying to do the same, but this DAX doesn't work for me. 

Combined Budget = CALCULATE(SUM('Sheet1 (2)'[budget]),FILTER(ALL(Sheet1[Merged]),CONTAINS(ALLSELECTED('Selector Table'[owner]),'Selector Table'[owner],[Budget Sum])||CONTAINS(ALLSELECTED('Selector Table'[owner]),'Selector Table'[owner],[Budget Sum])))

The Card visual with this measure gives me the dreaded "Can't display visual", and the slicer does not apply to other visuals.

I have created a selector table from my end, however i noticed that the slicer doesn't work. Do we require to link this newly created selector table to link this again or something?

I've been struggling for a while today with this, hope you guys know the answer!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.