Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Brotedo
Helper I
Helper I

Slicer Cross Filter Interactions Not Working

I have two slicers, both on my DimItem table. One for a top level category (A), the other for a category below that (B).

If I select from the lower slicer (B), slicer A is filtered, and I can only select top level categories that correspond to the selection from B. However, it isn't working the other way around. If I make a selection on A, I can still select any option from B.

I found a post on this from 2017 that basically said this is just how PowerBI is and there's not a great way to fix it without using a custom slicer. Has this changed since then?

3 REPLIES 3
Mikelytics
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

@Brotedo Based on your description it would be helpful to see a picture of your data model. THe behaviour filter of slicers between deifferent tables depends on the relation and the filter direction.

Best regards

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. Appreciate your thumbs up!

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Visit my blog datenhungrig which I recently started with content about business intelligence and Power BI in German and English or follow me on LinkedIn!
PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

If I'm understanding your request correctly, you can try using a single slicer and add both A and B fields (A above B). You will then get a hierarchy which allows for a more focused selection.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @Brotedo ,

I don't understand you question, when two slicers are based on the same table they get filter out accordingly to your selection so in this case selecting CAT A or CAT B should be indiferent.

Only exception that I can see is that if the values on a subcategory (B) are the same for two or more main categories (A), that would impact you result because there is more than a single result for each selection.

Can you please share a mockup of your data, of the two columns you are using?

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.