Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Slice between 4 tables with the exact column names on a dashboard.

Hi!

I am newer to Power Bi and I am building a one page report. I have 4 tables. These four tables have the exact same column names that obtain similiar data.

Like this-

Tables                                                       Bugs             Stories                  Tasks          Work Items

All the tables contain these columns          Area Path, Assigned to, Iteration Path, State, Title, Work Item Id, Work Item Type

The ask is to only have 1 page and they would like to filter by bugs stories tasks and work item tables.   

How would I go upon connecting those to develop a slicer on my page?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
littlemojopuppy
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous.

I'm curious why you have four tables with the exact same structure.  In Power Query you could append those four tables into a single table and then this would be simple.

Or you could create additional tables in DAX.

DISTINCT(
	UNION(
		Table1[Bugs],
		Table2[Bugs],
		Table3[Bugs],
		Table4[Bugs]
	)
)

Repeat as appropriate for Stories.

DAX UNION does not eliminate duplicates like SQL does so including the DISTINCT function will eliminate them.  Once created, create a relationship between the new Bugs table and Bugs column in each of the four tables (and the same with Stories).  And finally create slicers using the fields from the new Bugs and Slicers tables.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
littlemojopuppy
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous you're welcome, glad I could help.

you could really simplify the whole thing by appending those four tables into a single table...  😉

littlemojopuppy
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous how'd this work?

littlemojopuppy
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous.

I'm curious why you have four tables with the exact same structure.  In Power Query you could append those four tables into a single table and then this would be simple.

Or you could create additional tables in DAX.

DISTINCT(
	UNION(
		Table1[Bugs],
		Table2[Bugs],
		Table3[Bugs],
		Table4[Bugs]
	)
)

Repeat as appropriate for Stories.

DAX UNION does not eliminate duplicates like SQL does so including the DISTINCT function will eliminate them.  Once created, create a relationship between the new Bugs table and Bugs column in each of the four tables (and the same with Stories).  And finally create slicers using the fields from the new Bugs and Slicers tables.

Hope this helps!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! This worked.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.