Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

vitexo87
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Size limit of a file .pbx

What is the maximum recommended size for working with a file from power bi desktop (.pbix) both on my machine as the portal?
I have applications with less than 100 mb and more than 500 mb

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi vitexo87,

Firstly, 250MB is a previous limit which is for the data model within a .pbix file. According to this blog, the limit has been increased to 1 GB.

Secondly, agree with Baskar, there is no restriction on how large a pbix file can be locally. However, when you publish a pbix file over 1GB to Power BI Service, you will get a file size limit message. And in the case that your pbix file is less than 1GB when importing it to Power BI service, but the data model grows beyond 1 GB after a period of time, you will get a message when refreshing the dataset.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
Baskar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi Vitex

There is no limit in Pbix file size (I think so). but,

If your connection in import, then u have limit in power BI Cloud(Power BI Service),

In Free account u have only 1GB, Or Pro Account u have 10GB.

But i suggest u create your Pbix file with less amount of data, once u import to server then u can Schedule.

Because i will take more time to upload your file to server.

Do you have any suggestions as to how I can configure my model to load only a subset of data while working locally but use the full set when publishing?

I'm using a SQL Azure database as a data source (and nothing else).

Mike

Xhead

I have a similar issue where I have been working with a data model that was 500gb in size. In other models I have gotten to 1.2gb but not as many queries. One thing I did was create a “star” table by merging two fact tables together and filtering it down by using query dependent parameters. Then I built the data model around that. By doing this, I was able to reduce the size down from 500gb to 120gb. Might help for you.

@xhead Did you ever figure this out? I would like to do the same thing. I need to keep the original power BI under version control and uploading a 300MB .pbix file to our master Git repository seems a bit ridiculous.

You might consider making a PBI template to store in GitHub. It contains metadata only, very small file size.

I did ask the Microsoft folks when I was at the PASS Summit and they said there was no way to do that. However, I do believe there is a feature coming in an upcoming release that has a filter for local use that isn't applicable when you publish.

Mike

Hi All

The 1 GB limit is starting to really become a problem for my organisation.
I appreciate we can use rolled up data tables but I want to be able to see individual rows over 3 years and 1 GB just isn't enough!

Anyway, I guess I should go and vote for an increase to 2 GB!!

Hi @MattieG72MP ,

I fear the same thing happening to me.

Since you mentioned,I wanted to know the following:
1. The 1 GB limit applies only to the dataset or (dataset+PBI visuals) combined?

2. Typically what are the data dimensions (in terms of rows/columns/data type) at which we start to hit limits?

It would be of great help to me.

Thank you,

Vishesh Jain

I'M TRYING TO RESIZE MY PBX FILES TO <1GB

CAN I DAISY CHAIN ONE FILE TO THE NEXT?

LOOKING FORWARD TO 2.0

Because I had read somewhere a recommendation that the .pbix never exceed the size of 250 mb so the doubt

Hi vitexo87,

Firstly, 250MB is a previous limit which is for the data model within a .pbix file. According to this blog, the limit has been increased to 1 GB.

Secondly, agree with Baskar, there is no restriction on how large a pbix file can be locally. However, when you publish a pbix file over 1GB to Power BI Service, you will get a file size limit message. And in the case that your pbix file is less than 1GB when importing it to Power BI service, but the data model grows beyond 1 GB after a period of time, you will get a message when refreshing the dataset.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Lydia,

Hello - this has recnetly come up with something we've been working on. Although I can't attach files or share specifics (darn GDPR rules....) I'll outline what happened

- pbix file created. Final saved size 1.8 GB

- file published to Power BI Pro workspace. Note that the entire file published without any errors

- file is set up to auto-refresh 8x/day (every 3 hrs). To date, it has not failed

Are you aware of any reason why it is not failing? It is very confusing behaviour, since we've been saying all along that we can't publish something > 1 GB file size.

Any help, or direction is appreciated

Hi @IanAustin 

did you find the reason?

I also having the same doubt & I couldn't find the reason

my model size is currently 1.8GB & it will grow but till now I didn't face any problem to publish or refresh it in power bi service with PRO licensing 

Hi,

My .pbix file is over 1.2 GB. I want to publish it. How can I publish it?

Thanks,

Hi @cutestjigs,

How many rows do you have in your dataset ? Have your tried to change your model to a dimensional one ?

I had a problem like this, I solved it normalizing the fact table. 

Thanks,

Ricardo

Hi

Actually I haven't gone down to seconds in my Time Dimension so yes that may solve my issue!
Although I would prefer the service was increased to 2 GIG.

Thanks

Mattie

Hi

We have 20 million rows of phone data and using DAX Studio I can see that the DateTime fields are the main issue but we need to be able to display the Call Date.
Yes I could go down to seconds in the dimension and that might solve the issue - I may try that!

The model is already dimensional but I guess it's just the amount and type of data that we have.

We can't afford Power BI Pro but limiting the service to 1 GB seems slightly restrictive for some users unfortunately.

Anyway, it's a great product so I can't complain too much.

Thanks

Mattie

Try Sharepoint or OneDrive It may work

sdjensen
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

I am not sure if there is an actual limit in PBI Desktop, if there is one it's the ram on you pc. They just raised the bar to 1GB in the portal.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-service-may-update-file-size-increase-to-1-gb/

/sdjensen

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.