cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Size limit of a file .pbx

What is the maximum recommended size for working with a file from power bi desktop (.pbix) both on my machine as the portal?
I have applications with less than 100 mb and more than 500 mb

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

Re: Size limit of a file .pbx

Hi vitexo87,

Firstly, 250MB is a previous limit which is for the data model within a .pbix file. According to this blog, the limit has been increased to 1 GB.

Secondly, agree with Baskar, there is no restriction on how large a pbix file can be locally. However, when you publish a pbix file over 1GB to Power BI Service, you will get a file size limit message. And in the case that your pbix file is less than 1GB when importing it to Power BI service, but the data model grows beyond 1 GB after a period of time, you will get a message when refreshing the dataset.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

I am not sure if there is an actual limit in PBI Desktop, if there is one it's the ram on you pc. They just raised the bar to 1GB in the portal.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-service-may-update-file-size-increase-to-1-gb/

/sdjensen
Highlighted
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi Vitex

There is no limit in Pbix file size (I think so). but,

If your connection in import, then u have limit in power BI Cloud(Power BI Service),

In Free account u have only 1GB, Or Pro Account u have 10GB.

But i suggest u create your Pbix file with less amount of data, once u import to server then u can Schedule.

Because i will take more time to upload your file to server.

Highlighted
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Because I had read somewhere a recommendation that the .pbix never exceed the size of 250 mb so the doubt

Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi vitexo87,

Firstly, 250MB is a previous limit which is for the data model within a .pbix file. According to this blog, the limit has been increased to 1 GB.

Secondly, agree with Baskar, there is no restriction on how large a pbix file can be locally. However, when you publish a pbix file over 1GB to Power BI Service, you will get a file size limit message. And in the case that your pbix file is less than 1GB when importing it to Power BI service, but the data model grows beyond 1 GB after a period of time, you will get a message when refreshing the dataset.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

My .pbix file is over 1.2 GB. I want to publish it. How can I publish it?

Thanks,

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Do you have any suggestions as to how I can configure my model to load only a subset of data while working locally but use the full set when publishing?

I'm using a SQL Azure database as a data source (and nothing else).

Mike

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

@xhead Did you ever figure this out? I would like to do the same thing. I need to keep the original power BI under version control and uploading a 300MB .pbix file to our master Git repository seems a bit ridiculous.

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

You might consider making a PBI template to store in GitHub. It contains metadata only, very small file size.

I did ask the Microsoft folks when I was at the PASS Summit and they said there was no way to do that. However, I do believe there is a feature coming in an upcoming release that has a filter for local use that isn't applicable when you publish.

Mike
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Hi All

The 1 GB limit is starting to really become a problem for my organisation.
I appreciate we can use rolled up data tables but I want to be able to see individual rows over 3 years and 1 GB just isn't enough!

Anyway, I guess I should go and vote for an increase to 2 GB!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Upcoming Events

Upcoming Events

Wondering what events you could join or have an event to promote yourself? Check out our Upcoming Events.

August Community Highlights

Check out a full recap of the month!

Experience what’s next for Power BI

Join us for an in-depth look at the new Power BI features and capabilities at the free Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Community Blog

Community Blog

Visit our Community Blog for articles, guides, and information created by fellow community members.

Top Solution Authors