Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Single tooltip page with dynamic text depending on visual

Hi all,

I'm currently working on a dashboard that has 40+ pages of which most are tooltips providing information on visuals shown in the 4 pages the end-user actually has access to - to make sure they've got a complete understanding of what they're looking at. For example: "This is a pie-chart showing the sales contribution of each region" or "This table contains all sales YTD for department Y". 

My issue is that it's become quite bothersome to add new pages and move them around. To my knowledge, the page navigation of Power BI is quite limited, in the sense that you can right-click the bottom left (the arrows) to jumo to a certain page, but moving pages around remains a task of clicking and dragging. I've looked for a way of grouping pages, but from what I could see this is still a request/idea.

Since my goal is to simplify navigation (as a developer), I was thinking perhaps it's possible to have a single tooltip page, but with a dynamic text that changes based on on which visual it's being used. Does something like this exist?

Of course, I'm also open to other ideas! Again, it's really purely from a developer point of view, the end-user isn't bothered by any of these additional tooltip pages as they're hidden from view + we use a custom navigation instead of the standard pages.

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Pragati,

Here's an example of the kind of information we provide on a tooltip. As you can see, it's very basic. 

Example of tooltip pageExample of tooltip page

The issue is that we have 30+ of these tooltips, which exist as individual pages, thereby making the page navigation very crowded:

Snapshot of  (Info) tooltip pagesSnapshot of (Info) tooltip pages

Consequently, if we add another page or need to move some around, it's a hassle as it means clicking on the page tab and dragging it, again and again till we get it to where it needs to be.
It would help if we could group all tooltips, i.e. less clutter. But I believe this is not yet possible. So instead, I'm trying to see if I can minimize the amount of pages the dashboard needs by combining all tooltips pages into a single tooltip page with dynamic content.

Example of current situation: I have a pie chart and a table, on both I have a tooltip when hovering over the visual. For the pie chart I have a tooltip page that says "This is a pie-chart". For the table I have another tooltip page that says "This is a table".

Ideal situation: I have a pie chart and a table, on both I have a tooltip when hovering over the visual. For both visuals I have selected the same tooltip page, however now it adapts the text based on which visual I'm hovering over. So when hovering over the pie-chart, the tooltip will show "This is a pie-chart" but when hovering over the table, the same tooltip will now say "This is a table".

I'm thinking maybe this can be achieved with measures and a table wherein I have a column with a unique ID for each visual and then another column with what text should be shown, but I don't know how this exactly would work.

Hi @Anonymous ,

This is at idea/feedback level alone. May be , hopes Power Bi will implement this in nearby future.

If you also want this in power bi, let the power bi community to know this things and give your votes at power bi site's feedback - https://ideas.powerbi.com/ideas/idea/?ideaid=a0b8e038-f8a4-494c-b93b-17f578f27fd6

Did I answer your question ? Please mark my reply as solution. Thank you very much.
If not, please upload some insensitive data samples and expected output.

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin

Pragati11
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

Please add some screesnhots around your issue. It's not very clear on what you are trying to achieve.

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.