Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Single .pbix file, multiple reports using same visuals.

Hi.

To make my problem as simple as possible. I have one .pbix file, with 4 tabs.

Lets call them Slide 1, Slide 2, Slide 3, Slide 4. Now, I need two different reports, one report for the board, and one for the employees.

Report 1 uses:

- Slide 1

- Slide 2

- Slide 3

Report 2 uses:

- Slide 4

- Slide 3

- Slide 2

So, most of the content is the same, but not quite. Is there any way for me to keep all of these (Slide 1-4) in one .pbix file, and then split them up in the Power BI portal? 

Both the board and employees need Slide 2 and 3, but they respectively don't need 1 and 4 in their reports.

I'd rather have one file, so that if I have to make any changes to one slide (page/tab), I can fix it in the one file, and the changes will be made in both reports.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

instead of deleting slides, just hide them (right click on the slide tab -> hide). It's easier.

Otherwise yes, we sometimes faced the same issue, but generally we simply just show everything to everyone...

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

No you can't directly. 

There are workaround, however, first answer this question: showing certain slides to a person or another is a matter of practicality or security?
Because if people NOT in the board should not have access to data of the board, then you must not put the same data in the same PBIX *unless* you apply some kind of Row Level Security.

Otherwise you still cannot have different tab to different people BUT you can have bookmarks and dashboards that will help you. Still not ideal, I know.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's just for practical reasons. Employees have no need to see some of the data being presented, it's not sensitive information.

So it's really only to be able to produce reports (which in turn is used to generate .pdf's) that contains only what they need to see, without any "useless" information.

Anonymous
Not applicable

then starting from the same report "pin" visuals to different dashboards. Keep however in mind that dashboards, contrary to reports, are not interactive and you can play with filters. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm, I really need interactive functionality.

My worst case plan right now, is to just have one "master" report(file), and create 'physical' copies, and delete the slides I don't want in each of them. They are only updated/generated once or twice a year, so this shouldn't really be a big downside.

Is that solution "OK", even if its not the best?

Anonymous
Not applicable

instead of deleting slides, just hide them (right click on the slide tab -> hide). It's easier.

Otherwise yes, we sometimes faced the same issue, but generally we simply just show everything to everyone...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, I'll do that then.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.