Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

richardmayo
Helper II
Helper II

Single or Multiple Datasets

Having trouble finding a recommended answer so will try here.

I'm working to get all our business data sources into Power BI to start building reports and dashboards but I'm not sure if I should be adding all the data sources into 1 dataset, or creating multiple datasets.

At the moment, I just have 1 dataset which connects to a MySQL server (this is our core data source).

Now I want to connect things like Google Analytics, Facebook etc but should these be separate datasets or just add them as new data sources into the same dataset I already have???

Recommendations or best practices would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Tad17
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hey @richardmayo 

If they are all being used in the same report then I would add them to the same Dataset.

The intended use behind creating multiple datasets is if you are giving people access to certain datasets while not giving them access to others. If you are the only one creating reports and intend to share only the reports and dashboards and not the datasets or workspaces than you can put all of your data sources in the same dataset.

If you intend to let others create reports using the dataset you create (meaning you share the dataset with them) then you can organize your datasets based on who needs access to what data sources.

If you share the workspace they will have access to everything in there.

If this helps please kudo.

If it answers your question please accept it as a solution.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Tad17
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hey @richardmayo 

If they are all being used in the same report then I would add them to the same Dataset.

The intended use behind creating multiple datasets is if you are giving people access to certain datasets while not giving them access to others. If you are the only one creating reports and intend to share only the reports and dashboards and not the datasets or workspaces than you can put all of your data sources in the same dataset.

If you intend to let others create reports using the dataset you create (meaning you share the dataset with them) then you can organize your datasets based on who needs access to what data sources.

If you share the workspace they will have access to everything in there.

If this helps please kudo.

If it answers your question please accept it as a solution.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.