Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jscottNRG
Helper II
Helper II

Single date slicer to filter multiple date tables

I'm hoping this isn't actually so difficult, but I've had a tough time trying to figure out the proper setup. I'd like to use a single date slicer to filter multiple tables with dates in them. The tables are like this:

RoughInspectionsRoughInspectionsFinalInspectionsFinalInspections

There is a relationship between the tables like so (using JobID field and the Job_info table):

RelationshipsRelationships

There are no dates in Job_info to use with a slicer.  Using two slicers -- one for the date in RoughInspections and one for the date in FinalInspections -- works in a sense, but because of the implicit relationship between the two, when I select a date range in RoughInspections it filters visuals using data from FinalInspections.  I know this is as designed but it is undesirable in this case because I only want the FinalInspections visuals sliced by the Final Inspection Date slicer.  It seems the logic is such that, as in the screenshot below, when I slice by Rough Inspection Date the Final Inspections count card visual counts only observations that have a related record in the date range in RoughInspections.

In short, I have visuals and slicers on the page using data from RoughInspections, FinalInspections and Job_info, below.  I'd like the Job_info slicers (e.g. Job Status) to slice all visuals, and Rough Inspection date slicer to slice RoughInspections visuals and Final Inspection date slicer to slice FinalInspections. (Ideally, this could be done with one date slicer, but I'd be happy with the two behaving independently.)

un-sliced viewun-sliced viewsliced on RoughInspections datesliced on RoughInspections date

Is there a way to do this other than breaking relationships or splitting the visuals across different pages?  Thanks for any help!

Jonathan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
edhans
Super User
Super User

Shouldn't your slicer be based on the dates in a Date Table where the Date field is related to all of the relevant date fields in your other tables?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.