Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

StephenF
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Single Wildcard with replace for text cleansing

I wish to do as you would in excel's search replace:

Replace ~(ignore double quotes here)

" S1*"     - (S1 followed by a wildcard

to be replaced with "" ie no text

EG

"Mario S1 E1" Would be replaced with "Mario".

asterisk doesnt seem to work in replace values in the query editor however.

Any way to do the same?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Zubair_Muhammad
Community Champion
Community Champion

@StephenF 

You can use Extract Text Before Delimiter and specify "S1" there

Mario.png

Regards
Zubair

Please try my custom visuals

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @StephenF ,

You can add a column with condition to replace value, please take a look at following query.

#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Replace", each try if Text.Split([Text]," S1")<>null then Text.Split([Text]," S1"){0} else [Text] otherwise [Text])

Full query:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45W8k0sysxXCDZUcDVUitWJVgpJLS4Bco3AHLgkRM7RyRXESS1CkdQyMlWKjQUA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Text = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Text", type text}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Replace", each try if Text.Split([Text]," S1")<>null then Text.Split([Text]," S1"){0} else [Text] otherwise [Text])
in
    #"Added Custom"

5.png

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Zubair_Muhammad
Community Champion
Community Champion

@StephenF 

You can use Extract Text Before Delimiter and specify "S1" there

Mario.png

Regards
Zubair

Please try my custom visuals

@Zubair_Muhammad  Strictly this works, but if i chain a bunch of these it only picks up the last one.

The procession doesnt save the progress of the transformation on the string after each step for this function which is a bit unusual.

eg:

#"Extracted Text Before Delimiter1" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Replaced Value", {{"Programme Name", each Text.BeforeDelimiter(_, " S1"), type text}}),
    #"Extracted Text Before Delimiter2" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Replaced Value", {{"Programme Name", each Text.BeforeDelimiter(_, " S3"), type text}}),
    #"Extracted Text Before Delimiter3" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Replaced Value", {{"Programme Name", each Text.BeforeDelimiter(_, " S4"), type text}}),
    #"Extracted Text Before Delimiter4" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Replaced Value", {{"Programme Name", each Text.BeforeDelimiter(_, " S5"), type text}}),

EDIT: Oh right I need to change  #"Replaced Value" to point to previous row also on each row for it to work !

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.