Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ericOnline
Post Patron
Post Patron

Single Table Visualization, Multiple Data Tables

Hello,

Looking for assistance on the following scenario:

- Stacked Column Chart with "Values" columns from 5 different tables

- Tables are related to a single "Vehicle Table" (see model below)

image.png

- When user clicks on a column in the chart, I want to show a Table visualization with details for the given records

image.png

- When I combine columns to the Table vis, from the 4 data tables, I get an error that there is no relationship

image.png

- Data Model

image.png

(EDIT 1: Added Photos)

(EDIT 2: Added Data Model)
(EDIT 3: Added better example)

4 REPLIES 4
PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

@ericOnline 

a couple of things..

1) Have you made the relationship between Table 1 and Vehicles Table bi-directional for some specific reason? if not, change it to single

2) for the interaction betwen your Stacked column chart and the table visualisation to work, the date field in the chart x axis and in your table must be from your date table. Similarly, your table visual should include a row context from your Vehicle Field for the visual to filter all related tables.

3) If you have any other common fileds in your tables (name? etc..) I would suggest you create lookup tables (same principal as  the Vehicle Table) and use these in all your measures, filters, slicers..This ensures that the filter context throughout you model is consistent and allows you to do calculations across tables etc..

Not sure if that helps, but without seeing more details about fields used in the table visual, where they are coming from and how you have built the measures it is hard to be more precise.

It would help if you could mash up a mock sample of data representing your model with which we can work with within Desktop to provide better advice. If you can (no need for thousands of rows or all the tables even; just a representation of the data), share the Excel file (or PBIX file) via OneDrive, Google Drive, Dropbox...

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

Thank you @PaulDBrown for putting some thought into this.

• RE: BiDirectional Relationship:
    • I changed this back to Single direction
    • Was bi-directional while I was experimenting
  • RE: X-axis from DATE_TABLE:
    • Yes, the x-axis is from the DATE_TABLE
    • image.png
  • RE: Table visualization should have a VehicleName column:
    • It does. This column is the only common column among all 5 of the tables I want to visualize here
    • The remaining columns are UNIQUE to each respective table. This is the issue
    • image.png

I think the answer might be showing and hiding 5 Table Visualizations depending on the type of data clicked on in the column chart. 

I don't think its possible to show different tables in a single Table visualization.

PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

@ericOnline 

Can you please share:

1) samples in table format of your data tables

2) the relatioships between these tables and any lookup/dimension tables (modeling view snapshot)

Thanks,

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

Anyone run across a solution for this?
Thank you

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.