Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cklopfen

Single PBIX vs multiple attaching to a common Power BI data source

I'm working on a multi-developer project that will result in 6 fairly substantial Power BI reports connected to a single data model. I had planned to deploy 7 separate pbix's: one for each report and a stand-alone file for the data model. This was mostly so that developers could work on reports in parallel without conflicting with other coders.

We'll be embedding the reports into an existing web site. We thought there was the possibility that granting access to each report separately might cause performance issues and be overly complex.

So I'm trying to balance potential performance lags from security resources and the dev challenges of having multiple people working on reports simultaneously. Having individual development pbix files that we merge into a single deployment report is certainly an option, but it seems hacky. Also, should we have the full data model and the reports in a single file if we go that route? Or is it better to keep the data model in one pbix and let all the reports access the data source?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @cklopfen ,

You can create your perfect data model in Power BI Desktop and publish it to the Power BI service. Users canestablish a live connection to a shared dataset in the Power BI service and create report depend on it.

About Power BI Embedded performance, you can follow the advice in :https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/developer/embedded/embedded-performance-best-practices#:~:....

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @cklopfen ,

You can create your perfect data model in Power BI Desktop and publish it to the Power BI service. Users canestablish a live connection to a shared dataset in the Power BI service and create report depend on it.

About Power BI Embedded performance, you can follow the advice in :https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/developer/embedded/embedded-performance-best-practices#:~:....

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@cklopfen Generally I have seen people go with a Golden Dataset approach and the dataset is in a separate PBIX than the reports and the other reports connect live to the dataset. Check out Power BI Usage Models In Pictures - https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Power-BI-Usage-Models-in-Pictures/ba-p/1342820

There are other things you can do for development like Azure Dev Ops and Power BI Pipelines.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thanks! That's certainly the approach I've taken in the past. But I'm wondering what kind of performance hit that approach will take with embedding each report separately and having to resolve tokens, etc for 6 reports instead of 1.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.