Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

altesv
Frequent Visitor

Simplify P&L with Calculated Rows

Hi have a P&L with calculated rows within the matrix visual. It is a complicated process because PBI doesn't seem to support this.

Step 1 for me was to duplicate all of my data that I would be creating a calculated row for (literally copy paste margin and profit data so that it is duplicated in my source). 

Step 2 was to create a percentage calculation measure where I divided each row by the value in revenue.

Step 3 was to create a logical calculation measure which retrieved from either the "data" column or the "percent calc" column. Plus rules for formatting percents.

DataPercent CalcLogical column (final result)
Revenue100011000
Expenses A3000.3300
Margin7000.7700
Margin %7000.770%
Expenses B2500.25250
Profit4500.45450
Profit %4500.4545%

Does anyone know of a simpler way to do this while retaining this P&L structure? Particularly, is there a way that I could have the duplicate data appear without me duplicating in the data source?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Help no longer needed. I've learned that I can create calculated accounts from my data source, so I don't need to do any further manipulation within Power BI.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@altesv,

What is the original format of your table? Could you please post the table structure here?

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

It's pretty simple. Data source is month end balances across the following intersections:

Year | Month | Account | Business Segment | Business Region | Amount 

@altesv,

What logic do you use to create the above metrics(revenue,margin, profit, expense...)? Please share sample data of your original table and post expected result based on the sample data.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Help no longer needed. I've learned that I can create calculated accounts from my data source, so I don't need to do any further manipulation within Power BI.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.