Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

aramirez7
Frequent Visitor

Simple steps not supported in Direct Query - Postgres

Hi all,

For our reports in Direct Query we used to perform simple transformation in Power Query which did not break the query folding such as renaming, filtering, add new columns (simple columns).

Today the query folding is breaking because of Table.RenameColumns . We don't understand why? all of our reports used to support these simple transformations.

aramirez7_0-1612204715123.png

aramirez7_1-1612204791648.png

We are using Postgres as Datasource!

Please help 😥

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I just had a call with Microsoft support, we don't understand why it stopped working but we found a way to work around this query folding breaking.

I changed my M code from:

//This code was breaking the folding

let
Source = PostgreSQL.Database(Server, DataBase),
dbo = Source{[Schema="public",Item="gl_summary_union"]}[Data],
#"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(dbo,{{"YEAR(b.GL_TRXN_CRTD_DATE)", "Year"}})
in
#"Renamed Columns"

========================

To this:

//This code allows Power Bi to fold the query

let
Source = Value.NativeQuery(PostgreSQL.Database(Server, DataBase), "SELECT * FROM public.gl_summary_union", null, [EnableFolding=true]),
#"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(Source,{{"YEAR(b.GL_TRXN_CRTD_DATE)", "Year"}})
in
#"Renamed Columns"

The weird thing is that the first code worked for a couple of months!

Thanks @vanessafvg  for your help.

Have a great day

Alejandro 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

when you use direct query I am assuming power bi interpret that as your model is fully the way you want it to be.

Rather than doing a table rename in power query, why dont you use a sql statement and rename your columns in that statement?

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Hey  @vanessafvg Thanks for getting back to me..

Well, we don't want to write SQL statements - We already have a lot of reports created using M for simple transformations. It was working fine last week, Power Bi was able to create native queries for those simple transformations.

have you had a software update in the last week?  What has changed?

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Actually, I don't recall when I did the update -  but yes I am using the last version (December)

ok so I am just trying to understand the problem.

You were renaming columns in power query before now but suddenly today it started breaking.

Something needs to have changed?  Were you delayed in noticing after the last update?  Otherwise what created this problem when it was fine before?

I just had a call with Microsoft support, we don't understand why it stopped working but we found a way to work around this query folding breaking.

I changed my M code from:

//This code was breaking the folding

let
Source = PostgreSQL.Database(Server, DataBase),
dbo = Source{[Schema="public",Item="gl_summary_union"]}[Data],
#"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(dbo,{{"YEAR(b.GL_TRXN_CRTD_DATE)", "Year"}})
in
#"Renamed Columns"

========================

To this:

//This code allows Power Bi to fold the query

let
Source = Value.NativeQuery(PostgreSQL.Database(Server, DataBase), "SELECT * FROM public.gl_summary_union", null, [EnableFolding=true]),
#"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(Source,{{"YEAR(b.GL_TRXN_CRTD_DATE)", "Year"}})
in
#"Renamed Columns"

The weird thing is that the first code worked for a couple of months!

Thanks @vanessafvg  for your help.

Have a great day

Alejandro 

no problem glad its sorted

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.