Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

chefe
Helper II
Helper II

Simple pie chart does not work correctly (...)

Hi there,

please have a look at the following screenshot I took. It's a simple pie chart representing a numeric value separated by two categories (asset, liability).

When I want to visualise the SUM of the numeric values depending on categories, only 1 category (asset) is shown.

When I want to visualise the COUNT of the numeric values, it works fine and as expected.

What is the problem with in case 1?

No rocket sience here. Am I missing something? Any help is appreciated. Best regards, chefe

pbi_error.PNG

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @chefe,

I think that you cannot visualize positive and negative values together in a pie chart. I tried with the datas you provided and I obtained the same result. If you want to use the pie chart the only way is to use the ABS() function over "Liability", or you may use the bar chart that fits better to this issue.

#I'M Not An Expert#

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @chefe

Just like@Anonymous wrote, you won't have any data with negative value. Keep in mind that each visual often come with business needs, not only to give a nice "look and feel".

According to what I know Pie chart is not really use to compare subject, is much used to see proportions. Try to use others visuals, such as bar graph to display positive and negative values side by side.

More generaly use the best visual according to your business need.

regards,

Sébastien

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @chefe

That's quite weird !

Just like @austinsense wrote, could you share us the column you want to sum (with their datatype)? It look like a non numeric column you try to sum (or the values from liability are all 0).

Sebastien

Hello,

I do not use a measure, but rather just use the column as it is. The data type of this column set to DECIMAL. 

Below csv was exported via the "..." button in the upper right corner of the above on the ride side of my screenshot. 

The chart shows only asset, but when I export it's data, both asset and liability is shown.

Best regards, chefe

Asset/liability,Sum of test
asset,3048.7595457335524
liability,-2140.3965090420174

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @chefe,

I think that you cannot visualize positive and negative values together in a pie chart. I tried with the datas you provided and I obtained the same result. If you want to use the pie chart the only way is to use the ABS() function over "Liability", or you may use the bar chart that fits better to this issue.

#I'M Not An Expert#

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @chefe

Just like@Anonymous wrote, you won't have any data with negative value. Keep in mind that each visual often come with business needs, not only to give a nice "look and feel".

According to what I know Pie chart is not really use to compare subject, is much used to see proportions. Try to use others visuals, such as bar graph to display positive and negative values side by side.

More generaly use the best visual according to your business need.

regards,

Sébastien

austinsense
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Share the way you wrote your measures and the what the data looks like on your table ...

Austin is VP Operations at PowerPivotPro and a professional self-service enthusiast 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.