Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Simple multiplication with quick measure?

Hi, I am going crazy?! 3 secs in Excel, 2 hrs in PowerBI......

I am simply trying to multiply 1 column by a percentage value from another column, using the quick measure button.... I have tried using MAX and Sumx etc..... This should be like instant, what I am missing/doing wrong?

Step3.JPGStep2.JPGThis is simply EAX x RPI.... is the Max the right value to use?This is simply EAX x RPI.... is the Max the right value to use?

7 REPLIES 7
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

We are all here to help you, so please don't be too anxious.

What is the relationship between the two tables?

Capture9.JPG

Best Regards

Maggie

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI, I am a Dax M language type of person, but am able to steal and amend a few calcs here and there......This seems very complicated.....However, I do not a have grasp as an MS Access user of uniqueness and row level joins etc...... I am guessing/assuming that the column data is not tight enough, so are the rows mis-joining and not aligning properly, so rogue values are being grouped intra row? Do I need to create a calculated column and concat a load of col values to force a stronger "perfect" unique join and then apply the calc? I know thats not Dax'style or purist, as I am just looking for a dirty workaround that works that I can understand as a none programmer....? 😞...... I also get confused as to whether its better to create new tables at transfomration stage and rejoin them than apply measures after the event...... i.e. receive data, break it down into logical chunks, then glue it back together using keys etc.....(a bit like I am suggesting above?)....

camargos88
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous ,

If those tables are related, use the SUMX function.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I just hit a wall with this? I though max was the usual one too.....

Step4fail.JPG

@Anonymous , You need have common group by or dimension where you can group this data and multiply

Sumx(summarize(Dimension,Dimension[Dim],"_1",sum(MergeData[EAC]) , "_2",sum(BasecaseRpiX[Percent Indextaion])),[_1]*[_2])

Refer, how I have taken advantage order dim to take date diff

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Decoding-Direct-Query-in-Power-BI-Part-2-Date-Difference-Across/ba-p/934397#M451

@Anonymous ,

SUMX(TABLE, COLUMN X COLUMN)

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.