Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

treyno
Regular Visitor

Simple multiplecation between two data sets

Hello,

I am very new to Power BI and would like to know how to do the following.

I am trying to calculate the total costs of ordering 'i5 hardware', which involves multiplying total sum of price and total units of i5s  (£1047 * 1007)- see below.

123.JPG1234.JPG

The matrix on left is summarised from a data source which has counted the number of 'i5s' in each region. 

The matrix on the left is simply a cost table from a different data source, which shows the total amount an i5 costs.

I want to display on my report the total cost to procure this hardware. This would be easy on Excel but I am stumped how to do it on Power Bi. 

I have a feeling this may involve adding a measure? But again, as mentioned, I am very new to Power BI and DAX so any step-by-step advice on this would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Tim

1 REPLY 1
dramus
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

I'm not sure what the data model looks like. But I created two data tables that matched up with what you have in your screenshot.

Then I created a measure :

Total i5 Costs = sum(Table1[i5])*sum(Table2[Price])

I suspect that your model is more complicated than you are showing. If so, you are probably looking at using SUMX(), rather than SUM().

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.