Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jesterbrat

Simple line chart what am I doing wrong, general questions nubie

I am relativly new to Power BI so forgive me if this is a simple problem.

We are collecting 1300 different data points (lets say temperatures) over a 2 day period about a reading every 15 seconds.  I need to visually display this readings using power bi pro, specifically:

The y axis the temperature range

The x axis the time stamp

The actual temperature value (not an average, max or min) on the chart

Users should be able to  scroll to the right or left to view the data.

Questions

1. Is a line chart the best chart to use?

2. Can it dispay 1300 values, is there a limitation on how many values can be displayed?

3. Does it support a horizontal scroll bar?

4. How do I display the actual VALUE not the min or max or average?

It appears I have hit some limits and now my charts are only showing the last 5 readings:-(

The below screenshot shows only5 readings being displayed on the chart,  yet there are 1306 values when I "count" them

So confused!

Thanks

Jesterbrat

powerbidatacutoff.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @jesterbrat,

If a line chart is the best chart or not, it depends on your requirement. Line chart can see the trend of value as time. If you only view the data, you can use Table visual to show it.

2. Can it dispay 1300 values, is there a limitation on how many values can be displayed?

In Power BI desktop, the table or matrix visual can display whole dataset value and it will generate scroll bar for us to view all data automatically. But in other visuals, like line chart and column chart, it will prompt us that it's not able to display all data as there are too many values, you'd better filter data before display it. I test 931 rows, it didn't return any error. Please review and vote this idea.

In line chart, it support horizontal scroll bar, I test it using 931 values, please see the following screenshot.

1.PNG

In line chart, you select X-Axis type as category, for each time, the min, max, sum and average of the value are equal to the value itself.

Best Regards,
Angelia

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @jesterbrat,

If a line chart is the best chart or not, it depends on your requirement. Line chart can see the trend of value as time. If you only view the data, you can use Table visual to show it.

In Power BI desktop, the table or matrix visual can display whole dataset value and it will generate scroll bar for us to view all data automatically. But in other visuals, like line chart and column chart, it will prompt us that it's not able to display all data as there are too many values, you'd better filter data before display it. I test 931 rows, it didn't return any error. Please review and vote this idea.

In line chart, it support horizontal scroll bar, I test it using 931 values, please see the following screenshot.

1.PNG

In line chart, you select X-Axis type as category, for each time, the min, max, sum and average of the value are equal to the value itself.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.