Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

VFXPro
Advocate II
Advocate II

Simple calculated Date field using IF is not working...

I'm simply trying to get a date value calculated using a column depending on a condition, but it doesnt' work, what I am missing?

Calculated Due Date:  If the contract is digital then use the (enddate column + 7 days) otherwise use (receiveddate column + 7)

"Table1"

Received Date   EndDate        Format    Due Date

01/01/2000       01/07/2000   Digital      ???????

(FORMULA THAT IS NOT RETU?rn)

DueDate = IF(Table1[Format]="Digital",DATEADD(Table1[EndDate],7,DAY),DATEADD(Table1[ReceivedDate],7,DAY))

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @VFXPro

If you are using the Power Query Editor, then you can add a custom column using this formula.  For something like this it doesn't really matter if you create it in M (Power Query) or DAX (Power BI Desktop)

if [Format] = "Digital" 
then Date.AddDays([ReceivedDate],7) 
else Date.AddDays([EndDate],7)

image.png

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HotChilli
Super User
Super User

DATEADD is an unusual function.  If the date you end up with doesn't exist in the table already, it shows as blank.

I've never looked in detail at this but I presume it uses the in-built pseudo dates (hidden) table, and if it can't find it, it shows blank.

2 solutions: 1 - just add (+) the number (7 in your case) to the date

or     2 - use DATEADD but develop your own 'dates' table in the model

Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

Hi @VFXPro

Give this a go, I think it's close.  I have attached a PBIX file

DueDate = 
    IF(
        Table1[Format]="Digital",
        Table1[EndDate]+7,
        Table1[ReceivedDate]+7
        )

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Thanks Phil!!   Your file works fine.  It look like you are creating this new calculated column directly from the table editor, where I was using the Query editor (via Edit Query).  When I do use the query editor, with your formula (or mine) I get the followin error...

Expression.Error: The name 'IF' wasn't recognized.  Make sure it's spelled correctly.

Is there a guidelines that tells the user when to create a new column in the data tab vs the use the "Edit Query" that opens a separate editor?

Hi @VFXPro

If you are using the Power Query Editor, then you can add a custom column using this formula.  For something like this it doesn't really matter if you create it in M (Power Query) or DAX (Power BI Desktop)

if [Format] = "Digital" 
then Date.AddDays([ReceivedDate],7) 
else Date.AddDays([EndDate],7)

image.png

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Thanks @Phil_Seamark

This is very valuable guidance...  Thank you very much for your kindness and sharing your knowledge.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.