Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mitcha
Regular Visitor

Simple Straight Line Timeline

I'm trying to create a simple, straightline timeline that measures a specific times in a calendar year. The timeline doesn't need to measure against anything - X axis only. If this can't be acheived with current visuals, is this something that is difficult to create/code?BI Example.png 

6 REPLIES 6
Cmcmahan
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

So it looks like I didn't actually hit the "Post" button on Friday to your similar question.

Here's what I had saved as a draft:

I tried setting up something similar to your mockup using basic visuals, and got close, but man is it obnoxious to customize it into a super basic timeline like you want. I could get it either to show all events in one clean view, or I could have them spaced relative to each other with a lot of extra dates being shown.

As far as custom visuals, I found that Sparkline by OKViz seemed to work the best and have the most options, but I couldn't find a way to show dates without hovering.

Here's a sample of what I was able to come up with: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KgkC5iAynorlu0xmHh7GG1efC6dGNH69

Honestly, if you have the time, I would look into creating a custom visual for this.  It should be dead simple, and if you can get it uploaded on the marketplace, I'm sure tons of people would use it. 

@Cmcmahan you got a lot closer than I did. Nice! I don't know how something so simple can be so complex lol.  I Agree, having the dates is the most difficult part and creating a custom visual seems the only way to go. Some further investigation is still required. Thanks for giving it a crack mate, hoprfully some other users have some input also. Cheers

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@mitcha what are those indicators for month?What is the logic when to show it?

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Hi @parry2k 

The indicators are points in time a projects data is collected – the idea is to understand over a period how that project is trending based on KPI from data extracted. Having the ability to click on the “data collection dates” to view the data from that date would be ideal – if a slicer could display the data extraction dates on its straight timeline that would be useful.

Kind Regards

@mitcha can you share sample data to see what can be done?

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Hi @parry2k  please see below data example - Ideally dates to be shown over calendar year, which in turn will report KPI's on other data. Cheers. 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1V7DWioNkOwRjQWAV9IrCTmPMizGH1Med

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.